Aston Woodhouse High School

Well it's 50 years next week since I left, where's the time go? The Nev if I remember correctly was Nev Symonds, I'm sure he committed suicide about 30 years ago.

Edited by classicfan

Think I remember sue lee . Did I once see you at the black swan one Sunday night.

Hi Rod Fretwell

Cousin Jack here now living in sunny Spain as always threatened knew I'd make it one day. Wondering how Aunt Kitty is and if she made her 100th Year this year. Last met up for her 90th in Blackpool where she was absolutely marvellous. Hope you're keeping well mate and all your family are okay.

Take care and best to your bruv Gary as well.

Best wishes

Jack

I've read this with interest, as my Dad, John "Jack" Atherton (though known to pupils as "Charlie", for reasons which he never found out) taught English there from about the time I was born (1949) until the summer of 1962. I knew several of the teachers mentioned earlier; I clearly remember Miss Baston, as in 2004 she made the effort to attend Dad's funeral in Leicestershire, to represent Woodhouse Grammar, although by then she was about 89 and not very mobile. I was impressed by her strong personality - I can see that she was a strong character at WGS as well!

I've read this with interest, as my Dad, John "Jack" Atherton (though known to pupils as "Charlie", for reasons which he never found out) taught English there from about the time I was born (1949) until the summer of 1962. I knew several of the teachers mentioned earlier; I clearly remember Miss Baston, as in 2004 she made the effort to attend Dad's funeral in Leicestershire, to represent Woodhouse Grammar, although by then she was about 89 and not very mobile. I was impressed by her strong personality - I can see that she was a strong character at WGS as well!

This is another Facebook Group about Woodhouse Grammar School

Swallownest County Secondary School including Aston Woodhouse High School

;) Anyone Out There From Aston Or Dinnington That Went To Woodhouse Around 63 -66? Remember Jessie Baston?

Yes, she taught me French, and inspired me to study languages at University. She was very strict.

---------- Post added 08-04-2017 at 16:35 ----------

Wow - I remember Katy Blythe - never thought I hear that name mentioned after all these years. She was only small but she could bite, especially if you were a bit cheeky or weren't paying any attention to her.

My Mum & Dad had the Black Bull up to about 1976 but is there anybody out there that remembers the fabulous Friday night music venue - Roadrunner. It was held at the Aston Cricket club every friday and as I remember it was hugely popular.

Incidently I left Aston Woodhouse in the summer of 68.

Yes I went to the Roadrunner too, as well as the infamous MOJO club in Sheffield. I remember Ray Banks as DJ too, as well as some of the names on here.

Hi Everyone lovely to read all your comments why not join our other facebook groups, Aston Aughton Swallownest Forum, also Swallownest County Secondary Modern School including Aston Woodhouse Comp and Aston Comprehensive School and Memories all years I remember a lot of names on here, my name was Maureen Chadburn, I was there from 62-66 my brothers are Ken and Mike.

Hi Everyone lovely to read all your comments why not join our other facebook groups, Aston Aughton Swallownest Forum, also Swallownest County Secondary Modern School including Aston Woodhouse Comp and Aston Comprehensive School and Memories all years I remember a lot of names on here, my name was Maureen Chadburn, I was there from 62-66 my brothers are Ken and Mike.

These are the links to the fab Facebook groups as above :love:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASTONFORUM/?ref=group_header

https://www.facebook.com/groups/168279146901166/?ref=group_header

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1096125640444419/?ref=group_header

On 20/09/2017 at 20:44, auntimoomoo2 said:

Thank you for posting this Talib.

Maureen.

Your brother Mike.........is that Mike Chadburn that had loads of records.....his wife was Marie

On 26/02/2011 at 20:45, linda swallo said:

I went to Woodhouse Grammar School and then to Aston Woodhouse High School for the last year of my education. I remember Jesse and Katie Blyth (wasn't she to one whose jowls used to wobble when she shook her head). I remember Peter Houghton he used to teach me biology - or at least try. I can remember the Tillery boys, Adrian Sensicall, Suzanne Barnes, Angelica Schierenbeck. My brother Rodger Trehearn was in the year above me.

Linda Swallow (Trehearn) from Brinsworth

Hi my name is Roger Sorsby I was in the year above and knew all these people anyone remember me or Grahame Eden.