What is a forty foot?

The specificity of the dimension, 8, 12, 40 foot, is another indication that they were man made allowances on survey maps. For people and waterways.

A lot of the fishing "rivers" were extensively channelized over the years which is why they can run dead straight for miles, with smooth banks.

They have been channeled into 40 foot virtual canals.

In Grimsby, gennels are called eightfoots, unlike the rest of Lincolnshire. :)

Ginnels (hard G) round here in Lancs. Called "Jiggers" on Merseyside.

Ginnels (hard G) round here in Lancs. Called "Jiggers" on Merseyside.
I've actually heard "ginnel" in the Barnsley area. In parts of Lincolnshire they are "snickets", and in Sussex "twittens".
four times a ten foot.
:P :P :P

I've actually heard "ginnel" in the Barnsley area. In parts of Lincolnshire they are "snickets", and in Sussex "twittens".:P :P :P

Yes Mr. H. isn't a Gennel (soft G) or Jennel. a public right of way and usually without a name or properties on it and no vehicle access ? Not putting you on the spot, just asking.

I've actually heard "ginnel" in the Barnsley area. In parts of Lincolnshire they are "snickets", and in .....:P :P :P

All over Lancashire Yorkshire and the North they call them Ginnels..he was right even in MCR.. snicket used all over Yorkshire etc is more like a country path ..in York the short cuts amongst the olde streets are snickelways

I've only heard Sheffield and parts of Rotherham say Ginnel as Jennel. (All old AngloScandinavian words btw)

---------- Post added 06-09-2017 at 02:38 ----------

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickelways_of_York

---------- Post added 06-09-2017 at 02:40 ----------

"..and is a portmanteau of the words snicket, meaning a passageway between walls or fences, ginnel, a narrow passageway between or through buildings,.."

Yes Mr. H. isn't a Gennel (soft G) or Jennel. a public right of way and usually without a name or properties on it and no vehicle access ? Not putting you on the spot, just asking.
That's how I understand both gennel and ginnel, and the same often applies to snickets, tenfoots, twittens etc. Here is what the O.E.D. says about gennel/ginnel.

Just for comparison, here is Chambers' dictionary on ginnel, snicket and twitten.

Edited by hillsbro

Cant question Hillsbro hes a mine of information he should go on the chase and smarten them egg heads up lol

We used to call it a 40 foot (probably incorrectly!) from the bottom of Arbourthorne Road to Northern Avenue where the ground was burning underground.This was before they built Norfolk Park.