Anyone changed career direction completely?

Has anyone here given up work and done something completely different?

I'm thinking of retraining and doing something I've never done before, so my CV shows that I've worked but is not much good for what I want to get into.

Advice and experiences would be appreciated...

hi piquant,

i packed a good job in earlier this year in recruitment after realising it wasnt for me and couldnt do it for the rest of my life.it was a hard decision as at my age(36) im no spring chicken and need a income...i am currently training at night school to be a barber (something ive always fancid doing) and am enjoying it...i ope to open a shop early next year. and to fit round my studies i am currently pounding the streets as a postman( which i hate) but the money isnt 2 bad and i know there is light at end of the tunnel...i think that you show follow your dreams and go for what you want as life is to short and i missed opportunities when i was younger and now regret so i am training to do something i want to do and although at the moment things are tight and hard work i know i made the right decision

good luck and go for it

8 years as a postman which I left to go to college for 4 years. Big gamble but it paid off.

My advice would be if you don't try something you may live to regret it.

Thanks Max. What did you do about coping with bills, drop in income etc

Husband left foreign office 6 years ago after 15 years abroad, to re-train as a primary teacher, less money, but he's really enjoying it despite the bad press about teaching. We had a mortgage, three smallish children, and i hadn't worked in this country for several years so my wages were low end, still are. But we survived and are happy. I'm on the brink of changing my job now, life is for living not regretting.

Thanks Max. What did you do about coping with bills, drop in income etc

My partner was working job share at the time so we just had to trim our outgoings somewhat. Having said that, in the 80's there were still grants and that, plus mature students' allowance, pretty much compensated for the loss of the low wages I was getting as a postman.

Thanks Amanda and Max :) This has been a great help, especially the last two posts :)

I started my life hoping to be a layabout but after years of over eating and drinking far too much beer I changed my career to the dizzy hights of a lazy fat slob.

Pass your test in a truck and learn how to

use your indicators on a roundabout.

8 Years in the civil service. Been a Team Leader, 2nd Line Technical Support/DBA and a Researcher. Gave it all up in September 2006 for a new and fresh start over in Dublin. Best move I ever made, my parents can't believe the change in me :D

My advice is do it, if you don't you will always be wondering 'what if?'

Good luck :)