Open-Air School

At some point before 1968, because I suffered from bad asthma, I attended what was referred to as an 'Open-Air School', I think at Millhouses, though I can't be sure. As the name suggests, we took a lot of the lessons outdoors and even had a mid-day kip, on camp beds, in a field. The school itself, was little more than a large shed. Does anyone have any recollections about the school?

I attended Bents Green school for the same reason but it could hardly have been described as a shed. There was also Whiteley wood school nearby which was also classed as 'open air', this was much smaller than Bents Green. Not sure of any others.

The 1957 Kelly's Directory mentions three open air schools: "SPECIAL SCHOOLS FOR DELICATE PUPILS. There are schools of this type at Whiteley Wood for 140 children; Springvale House, Park Lane, for 140 children; and Bents Green for 100 day pupils and 40 residential pupils. At these schools lessons are taken in the open air or in the special open-air classrooms."

Can't imagine it was Springvale, this was close to the city centre so would rule out the 'kipping in a field' element.

The OS map shows the Springvale House open air school with a garden occupying quite a large area off Park Lane, between Clarkehouse Road and Collegiate Crescent. The "picturesheffield" site has a number of photos of children outside - here are links to two such photos. http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s30501&pos=21&action=zoom&id=102429... http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s30500&pos=20&action=zoom&id=102428

Its a possibility Hillsbro but from what i remember Springvale house was again a large imposing property, its the 'shed' part that's throwing me. Could have been an annexe of sorts. Bents Green had 'terrapin' classrooms for a while in portacabins and Whiteley wood

also had a timber outbuilding but i'm not sure about Springvale house.