Where to eat in Sheffield city centre?

Does anyone agree with me that Sheffield city centre is really bad for daytime eateries, setting aside pub fare and standard brands such as Greggs and Nandos? I use Marmadukes on an almost weekly basis and occasionally I will pop into Tampere, and these two places are excellent. The rest, however, is in my opinion a poor lot, and I include in this the likes of the John Lewis restaurant/cafe?

Maybe the long-awaited city centre redevelopment will improve matters, but for the moment Sheffield on this count is way behind Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Birmingham, and even Leicester, Bristol, Reading, Nottingham and Derby.

What sort of things do you want to see?

Some of my favourites are Gusto on Norfolk Row, Philpotts, Tamper Coffee and Luck Fox (if you are looking for cheep and cheerful).

Edited by ECCOnoob

Back in Sheff December going to see Bootleg Beatles,is there a place for some decent pre theatre food,done Ask,Zizzis,sect just looking for something else.

Back in Sheff December going to see Bootleg Beatles,is there a place for some decent pre theatre food,done Ask,Zizzis,sect just looking for something else.

Pre-theatre we usually go to Ego. Service is always quick and efficient with sufficient staff. The food isn't the most exciting but it's relatively cheap and cheerful.

I avoid ASK like the plague, understaffed, slow and unprofessional. A serious risk of missing the opening curtain whilst your food sits, going cold, on the serving counter.

Guest makapaka

Efes on west street is excellent.

Eten Cafe (near the Cathedral) is really nice - though I believe they're currently closed for refurbishment, so you'll have to wait a while to try them out.

What sort of things do you want to see?

Some of my favourites are Gusto on Norfolk Row, Philpotts, Tamper Coffee and Luck Fox (if you are looking for cheep and cheerful).

What I am trying to put over is my frustration at the relative dearth of places other than pubs and the standard city centre brands like Subway. What I would like is department stores with a good cafe/restaurant - compare, for instance, JL in Liverpool and Nottingham with our humdrum "Place to Eat" - and more cafes/restaurants like Tamper and Marmadukes which offer something a bit different.

I went for breakfast recently at Grand Central in Birmingham and had a choice of no less than 23 places. These included Square Pie and Muffin Break, and an excellent JL unit. I plumped for bacon and egg at Giraffe World Kitchen and a fruit and vegetable drink at Joe and the Juice.

You simply do not get anything like this level of choice, value for money and quality in Sheffield city centre.

Guest makapaka
What I am trying to put over is my frustration at the relative dearth of places other than pubs and the standard city centre brands like Subway. What I would like is department stores with a good cafe/restaurant - compare, for instance, JL in Liverpool and Nottingham with our humdrum "Place to Eat" - and more cafes/restaurants like Tamper and Marmadukes which offer something a bit different.

I went for breakfast recently at Grand Central in Birmingham and had a choice of no less than 23 places. These included Square Pie and Muffin Break, and an excellent JL unit. I plumped for bacon and egg at Giraffe World Kitchen and a fruit and vegetable drink at Joe and the Juice.

You simply do not get anything like this level of choice, value for money and quality in Sheffield city centre.

It's not that bad really.

I don't think I'd want 23 different places to buy a bacon sandwich and a fruit juice around our station to be honest.

HowSt on Howard Street is worth a try.

Tamper and Marmaduke's are great. Eten gets good reviews too. I think there are some really good daytime cafes/ restaurants in Sheffield, but they tend to be out in places like Ecclesall Rd/ Broomhill/ London Road.

Eten Cafe (near the Cathedral) is really nice - though I believe they're currently closed for refurbishment, so you'll have to wait a while to try them out.

Eten has recently reopened as Edisons Coffee. In fact it opened today. I know it is a chain but I like Bill's Restaurant in St Paul's.

I think quite a few of the old Eten staff have been retained too - they're always pleasant and friendly, and really good with my awkward child :)

Last time we went in Eten/Edisons, just before it closed for refurb, the guy running it was very keen to tell us about it being a not for profit/community venture. He said they try and give work experience to people struggling to get in the job market.

I hope they pay them a decent wage for doing so, and not just use them as "interns".