IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

29-04-2006, 21:04   #41
Falls

Total Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmum
My mum went to pye bank - pamela pyne....not sure of the years - shes 72 now - she had a twin brother called jack, and older sisters connie and betty, younger sister lorna and younger brother called tony. they lived on stockton street for 20+ years i think.....before moving to firth park (at least my gran did - no3 merlin way )
Hi,

Was Pyne your Mums married name? I knew someone called Jack who lived on Stockton Street in the 1940's and some of the 50's. His last name was, I think, Acres (?)

Regards
29-04-2006, 22:09   #42
Cycleracer

Total Posts: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls
Hi

You also mentioned Garratt. Was that Mr. Garratt, who may have come over from Burngreave ? The Mr. Garratt I knew at Burngreave was a very good singer - operatic and church.

Regards
No, Garratt was a Miss.
I think she tought art but can't quite remember.
She was quite strict though not as strict as Miss ' you know who ' Peppermint.
29-04-2006, 22:15   #43
Cycleracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint
Now come on cycleracer, what have I told you about talking about SHE who is to be feared, still cringe at the sight and sound of her name. Don't think I will ever forget her.
Mr Bezant was one of my fave teachers. Names I remember Janet Harkness (she went to live in OZ) the Robinsons, The Longleys, Stensons, Sharps, Dobsons, comleys, Hills, Moffats Hobsons, copsons, Mcdonalds, Taylors, Burgins and of course you there are more but wont go on LOL
On the subject of the outside toilet, we were told the 4th one was haunted by a Mr Jenkinson wondered who started that but I agree they were horrid
I remember someon coming screaming out of the toilets claiming seeing Mr Jenkinson.
Janet Harkness, yes I remember her to, her Father remained here and lives or lived in this area somewhere.
have not seen hin for about 7 years.
Janet went to Oz with her Mother and Brother, who's name was Paul I think, could be wrong there and they left about 1967/68.
01-05-2006, 20:15   #44
Tradescanthia
Account Closed

Total Posts: 4,057
Our yard was on the corner of Brunswick Rd and Bramber St and Paul Webster lived on the side backing on to Bramber St. I remember his mothers name was Iris. I last saw them in 1956-no idea where he is now.
02-05-2006, 18:28   #45
john t

Total Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleracer
I remember someon coming screaming out of the toilets claiming seeing Mr Jenkinson.
Janet Harkness, yes I remember her to, her Father remained here and lives or lived in this area somewhere.
have not seen hin for about 7 years.
Janet went to Oz with her Mother and Brother, who's name was Paul I think, could be wrong there and they left about 1967/68.
Not spoken to Janets dad in years,think it was in the Highway.Told me she had married an aussie soldier,don't know if i'd recognise him now if i saw him...Thats if he's still alive....

john
_______
If you don't know where your going....You can never get lost.!

If you take me seriously....Your on your own.!
02-05-2006, 21:27   #46
Tradescanthia
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by creswick
thanks nimrod i cant remember Pauls dad but my parents knew his parents.Can you remember his gran living with them.Would the houses in Bramber Street have been demolished when they moved out.Do you know what area they might have gone to in 1956.

I seem to remember Paul's dad being some sort of musician but I dont think he lived with them at the time I knew them. I dont remember Paul's gran living with them. Dont know when demolition took place, we moved into a 'pit house' at Highgreen when my dad started work as a coal miner.
05-05-2006, 13:15   #47
kensimmo

Total Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitsmoorboy
Charlie Street was in my class at Pye bank school in the late 50's The Wembley play ground was on Marcus St.
Did this Charlie Street have a brother named Roy?If so I worked with them both at Fletchers Bakery between 1972-74
05-05-2006, 20:07   #48
pitsmoorboy

Total Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensimmo
Did this Charlie Street have a brother named Roy?If so I worked with them both at Fletchers Bakery between 1972-74
Charlie would be about 57 years old now, I know he had a younger brother who lost a leg, late 50's early 60's. I can't recall his name, or the circumstances, for the loss of his leg. If I recall correctly they lived on Neville St. untill the area was redeveloped.
_______
Can you tell me Why, some live and others Die?
06-05-2006, 00:23   #49
Tradescanthia
Account Closed

The Charlie Street I knew will be 57 this year, but I didn't know his brother.
06-05-2006, 16:40   #50
teeny

Total Posts: 7,584
Send a message via MSN to teeny Send a message via Yahoo to teeny
does anyone remember the busy room that was run by a teacher call Mrs Catelle?
I went to Pye Bank very briefly for 2 weeks in 1971 ish, while iwas there i spent alot of time down in the busy room and went on a trip to the countryside
06-05-2006, 16:47   #51
pitsmoorboy

Quote:
Was that the play ground at the side of the railway near the firey jack tunnel.
Yes, although the play ground was actualy on Oborne St. wich runs off Marcus St.
_______
06-05-2006, 19:37   #52
pitsmoorboy

When I started Pye bank infants about 1954, I remember some of my classmates were called Charlie Street, Ken Savage, Ronnie Taylor, Maxwell Richardson, (timid kind of lad with blond hair and glasses) Geoffery Burke, Peter Campbell (we were best mates for years until his death in 1993, god bless him) Frankie Lemmons (another one gone some years back) Paul Bradley (I have heard he has passed away some time ago but don't know for sure) Philip Biggins, Jennifer Russel, Jannet Woodward , Vicky Udall and I seem to remember a couple of Elaine's but not sure, time play's trick's on the grey matter. Just remembered a red haired girl Called Vallarie Roxborough? no doubt more names will come flooding back the moment I shut down. would love to know what has happend to them all.
_______
08-05-2006, 22:00   #53
suky

Total Posts: 24
Send a message via ICQ to suky
vicky udall name rings a bell does anyone remember kath and charlie belk who in the fifties lived i think on the same road as vicky and had a son called steven and a daughter called susan
10-05-2006, 21:21   #54
pitsmoorboy

Quote:
When I started Pye bank infants about 1954, I remember some of my classmates were called Charlie Street, Ken Savage, Ronnie Taylor, Maxwell Richardson, (timid kind of lad with blond hair and glasses) Geoffery Burke, Peter Campbell (we were best mates for years until his death in 1993, god bless him) Frankie Lemmons (another one gone some years back) Paul Bradley (I have heard he has passed away some time ago but don't know for sure) Philip Biggins, Jennifer Russel, Jannet Woodward , Vicky Udall and I seem to remember a couple of Elaine's but not sure, time play's trick's on the grey matter. Just remembered a red haired girl Called Vallarie Roxborough? no doubt more names will come flooding back the moment I shut down. would love to know what has happend to them all.
A couple more names, Roy Gregory, Dennis Longley, Richard Pascoe, Clifford Buck, Alan Kelsey, George Littlewood. (it's all fading again)
_______
10-05-2006, 21:37   #55
whilma

Total Posts: 32
Quote:
Charlie would be about 57 years old now, I know he had a younger brother who lost a leg, late 50's early 60's. I can't recall his name, or the circumstances, for the loss of his leg. If I recall correctly they lived on Neville St. untill the area was redeveloped.
Whre about s and which era did you live in pitsmoor?
11-05-2006, 18:43   #56
pitsmoorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whilma
Whre about s and which era did you live in pitsmoor?
I lived on Champs Hill. (Brunswick Rd.) untill I was about Sixteen, then Pye Bank Rd. for about Five years.
_______
11-05-2006, 21:15   #57
Cycleracer

Quote:
Frankie Lemmons, derek Longley and George Littlewood I know to.
There now in there early 50s although George may be older and Frankie lemmons is no longer around, they used to live opposite me.
Frankie was a decent bloke.
11-05-2006, 23:52   #58
Falls

Total Posts: 723
Quote:
I lived on Champs Hill. (Brunswick Rd.) untill I was about Sixteen, then Pye Bank Rd. for about Five years.
Hi,

Which side of Champs Hill did you live on? There was a lad in my class at school lived on the same side as Whitby and Chandlers. His name was Alan Murdouch (?) This would be in the late 1940's, early 50's.

On the other side of the street (what used to be called the Mill Houses) was a family called Page. My mother used to know Mrs. Page. Can't remember the names of any of the other families - used to know them all at one time.

Regards

Last edited by Falls; 12-05-2006 at 13:50.
12-05-2006, 13:17   #59
pitsmoorlad

Total Posts: 1,914
Quote:
I also knew Frankie Lemmons and yes he was a good bloke. We used to play footie on the rec. Very sad when I heard he'd left us.
_______
Don't worry men, they couldn't possibly shoot us from that dist......
13-05-2006, 14:39   #60
pitsmoorboy

Quote:
There now in there early 50s although George may be older and Frankie lemmons is no longer around, they used to live opposite me.
Frankie Lemmons passed away some years back, Derek Longley is Dennis's younger brother, George Littlewood & Dennis Longley are in there LATE 50's and so would Frankie Lemmons be if he was still with us, god bless him.
_______
Reply To Topic