Glossop Road Swimming Baths

There must have been two people then that died in the gents swimming pool from diving in,

because I know for definate that the lad I mentioned was a lad of about 10 or 11 years of age and was a friend of my best friend....... I may be wrong afterall its many many years ago now but I seem to think the lad's name who died was Jacob.

This could be the youngster I got out of the pool back in the late fifties . 58/59

He had apparently banged his head , but I seem to think it was on the side of the baths rather than at the end . I didn't see it happen . He was with a friend .

Don't remember much other than the baths attendant tried to resuscitate him , but he did die . I had to attend the inquest and was given a season ticket . I left junior school in 1960 so I am sure it was before that .

When echo beach refered to putting a floor across for dances it brought back to me one time when I worked for Express Dairies,I delivered on my round to Sheffield University anatomy department!.Inside were specimens of human body parts displayed in formaldehyde filled glass cases,in one was the top half of a skull with a wide crack across it!.One of the cleaners told me it was from a man who had got into a fight at Glossop Road baths one dance night,he fell from the balcony to the floor killing him,I don,t know if it was true but that's the story,this was mid 1960s!.Echo beach mentioning the floor jogged my memory!.

---------- Post added 22-10-2018 at 11:21 ----------

Does anyone remember the joke shop down the small sidelane outside Glossop Road baths?,I spent a lot of my meagre cash as a schoolkid there!.You could buy all kinds of magic tricks,the nail through the bandaged finger,itching powder and the stink bombs were epic!.I threw one down in assembly one morning at Hillfoot School causing a right commotion,the teachers went beserk seeking out the culprit,I thought I,d had it that day but I survived to fight on with my quest as a troublesome little pain for the teaching staff!.

Edited by old tup
spelling wrong again!.