The Cannon Pub - summat going off?

Went past it by bus this morning and noticed some building works or something going on there .. you could literally peek in the front door and see daylight coming from its rear :-O

Is it being renovated or replaced by something else? Shame to be losing a lovely old pub like that with some of Sheffields history. I believe the facade also has some architecturally interesting features?

Went past it by bus this morning and noticed some building works or something going on there .. you could literally peek in the front door and see daylight coming from its rear :-O

Is it being renovated or replaced by something else? Shame to be losing a lovely old pub like that with some of Sheffields history. I believe the facade also has some architecturally interesting features?

Oh, the Cannon had a history alright.:suspect:

https://colloco.co/find-a-property/properties/918-cannon-pub-sheffield

Shown as sold, so being redeveloped as something, possibly accommodation.

It says on there it has a restrictive covenant prohibiting the sale of alcohol. For a building that was built for that very purpose and performed that function for over 100 years I find that shocking. How is that even legal?

OK it was a terrible place. I went in once for a half about 10 years ago just to gawp at the customers. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be a good pub in future as the area begins to swarm with beardy hipsters.

https://colloco.co/find-a-property/properties/918-cannon-pub-sheffield

Shown as sold, so being redeveloped as something, possibly accommodation.

Never realised how nice the upper levels of the Cannon looked. Mind you, when I was round and about the Sheffield town centre in the 60s and 70s, I rarely looked up, because of the damn pigeons Lol. Fitzalan Square was the worst though.

It is going to be a shisha lounge for the locals. No alcohol will be sold.

There will also be a barbers shop on the first floor and a discotheque in the basement.

There will also be a barbers shop on the first floor and a discotheque in the basement.

What the hell is a shisha lounge, do they just sell Vimto or summat?:confused:

Locals? Who lives around there?

Locals? Who lives around there?

Next time you are walking down The Wicker have a little look at the buildings above the shops. Full of bedsits and flats.

---------- Post added 13-10-2018 at 08:45 ----------

What the hell is a shisha lounge, do they just sell Vimto or summat?:confused:

Why don't you google it?

They are very popular around the London Road area. I can think of at least four down there.

Next time you are walking down The Wicker have a little look at the buildings above the shops. Full of bedsits and flats.

---------- Post added 13-10-2018 at 08:45 ----------

Why don't you google it?

They are very popular around the London Road area. I can think of at least four down there.

Maybe I should just google London Road then.

"Eyup Fred ah tha gooin, not seen thi for years,whats tha been up to?" "Just google me " he replied. :help:

I had the dubious pleasure of drinking in this famous establishment twice, once in 1986, I think I survived a quick half of bitter before being swamped with people with plastic carrier bags offering knocked off goods. The second time in 1996, survived a full pint this time, before being swamped with characters with carrier bags selling dubiously sourced electrical goods. Fascinating snippet of life though it was in here

Can anyone remember what they called the disco they used to have in the basement ?