CCTV recommendations and advice - No advertising/jobs/quotes

What's actually wrong with it ? Does it power up ? Or is it not recording ? To be honest it's probably not worth repairing as Swann is a cheap throw away unit ...

Sadly agree with above. Swan aren't the best product

It worked for 3 days after it had been repaired but after that it just stopped, it would not record and just went off. We paid £550 for the unit 2 years ago and it was fitted by New-Channels based in Sheffield 13.

Thanks to all of you, it is a Swann Model SRNVR-87300H Power Supply 48v. We took it to Real Electronics on Leeds Road, they charged me £35, they fitted a new "Sater LED" and reformatted the drive but it still failed :(

SATA lead ? The connector from the pcb to the harddrive ?..still think it may be the harddrive , remove the two leads that connect to the pcb , does the unit now power up ?

I'm not wishing to get embroilled in other threads that are about cctv or state monitoring as this is not about any of those things.

if closed circuit means one camera and one recording device then its closed circuit but not an externally placed cctv camera as one might typically imagine one to be

this information/advice appeal is on behalf of someone that does not own or have access to either a computer or mobile phone.

what they want to do is set up a camera ...not a hidden one...that runs off the mains and records on a continuous loop... 24 hours or more... the range needed is up to about 60 yards ..but capeable of more would be fine. as wide an angle as possible if the image can be zoomed in on. the camera and whatever it records the continuous image on should all ideally be self contained... in that the image is not sent or broadcast anywhere just recorded... and able to be viewed as and when on the device itself... but not remotely ...... if a camera and a seperate recording device are required to acheive this thats fine too as what ever the set up its just going to be put on the window sill and pointed outwards.

any help or advice that can be offered on where to go to get proper advice would be greatfully received.

to quell the concerns of the over sensitive... there being so many ..

the camera is not being set up to film any one person in particular or the property of others and anyone who might be caught on camers so to speak will find that they did not do so anywhere where any person could reasonably expect to have privacy.

Loads of systems do this and there's even some apps available that let an old mobile phone operate as a surveillance camera.

The problem is image quality comes at a price, if you end up needing the images for something (like you get burgled) then a top camera pays dividends, especially in the evening/night when there is little to no light.

Sometimes the cheaper camera's are only good enough to tell you two men in light clothes broke in, nothing more.

thank you geared.

that is good to know.

would you be willing to suggest some makes and models please about which i could make futher enquiries.

I want a basic wifi camera to stick on the windowsill so it detects people walking up to the house, then pushes alerts to my phone  via an app.  (Android)   There are literally hundreds on Amazon, most have good reviews but the apps that go with them are often pretty awful.  I would like one that does not need a paid account for cloud storage, my google email will be fine as I won't be keeping the data and don;t need 24/7 recording.

Anyone got one they can  recommend?  I don't mind spending more for a better one but they all seem basically the same!

A few that I've looked at on Amazon,

[NEW UPDATE] ieGeek 1080 IP Camera

Veroyi DM-01 IP Camera 

APEMAN WiFi Camera 1080P 

Thanks

:)

There's some on 7dayshop (online) Not sure of the resolution but I was going to look into them a bit more. They are under £30 with built in wifi 

I think they are called .......dog, lucky dog or clever dog (a quality name you would definitely buy!!)

I want to stick cameras at the front and rear of the house to alert of intruders. The cameras will sit on the windowsill inside and point out. The sort that have an app that pushes notifications to my Android phone via an app, if someone walks up to the house it will record and alert my phone.  There are hundreds on Amazon, most about 30/40quid and the cameras seem to get good reviews and seem easy to set up but the apps are often rubbish!  Anyone got one they can recommend that actually works? I don’t want to have to pay for a cloud subscription either if I can avoid it. If it can email pics to my google account that would be ideal. After a spare of burglaries in the area I would like to be alerted when people are snooping around my house! 

This sort of thing..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veroyi-Camera-Surveillance-Security-Function/dp/B07MG4XB6F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8 

ieGeek 1080 IP Camera

Veroyi DM-01 IP Camera 

APEMAN WiFi Camera 1080

I want to get an external one as well if you have a good one of those to recommend.  This has been recomended..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C75C47B/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07C75C47B&pd_rd_w=MlfME&pf_rd_p=e2bfafb5-111e-4906-b089-5d691a51d45f&pd_rd_wg=9JvtD&pf_rd_r=3TMCWY4T5KH3E5G8P7JS&pd_rd_r=97a401ad-6032-11e9-8790-4f31a93d3f06

Thanks

😊

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

Quite a few people here suggested Hikvision, I think the main problem with it (as well as a range of other brands) is that it is considered to be 'professional only', so you can only get it with an installation quote (so no DIY). 

You can get one on ebay (high risk of getting a fake) or amazon (worked for me, but you inevitably overpay). I have recently found a Sheffield-based retailer who sell all sorts of Hikvision cameras to non-professionals (and DIY enthusiasts like me). 

So if you need to get a good camera - then Hikvision is in my view the best choice. I does require some installation work but it actually delivers good quality videos (whereas a wide range of fancy wifi out-of-the box cameras I've tried - failed miserably).