Station Hotel , Attercliffe and Duke of York , Darnell

It's been a while since I've set foot at Attercliffe or Darnell so not really up to date on what's happened to the above pubs. I once went in the Station Hotel on Attercliffe Road a couple of years ago at night and was greeted as I entered by some fairy lights around the door and on the floor an guy was parked up at the bar talking to who I'm guessing was the landlord stayed awhile before moving on by which time the pub was empty I difted to the Carlton across the road not much more busier than the Station is it still their?

About the same time I went though Darnell and noticed an derelict corner pub with the name of ' Duke of York' look like it was once an grand pub as this now gone?

Guest makapaka

Both long gone. Think station is still open in some guise but not as a pub. Carlton is only pub open on cliff which is a tragedy really.

Both long gone. Think station is still open in some guise but not as a pub. Carlton is only pub open on cliff which is a tragedy really.

The only reason I remembered the Station was because of strange fairy lights display.It did have the feel of a sinking ship strange to think that Attercliffe was home to so many pubs.

I think the 'Carbrook Hall' is still there.

Guest makapaka
The only reason I remembered the Station was because of strange fairy lights display.It did have the feel of a sinking ship strange to think that Attercliffe was home to so many pubs.

Yeah it's sad. The owner of the horse and jockey recently tried to reopen but was refused as the authorities were concerned about the management of it.

10/15 years ago there were 7/8 pubs there and obviously even more further back. walkley has had a similar decimation of pubs.

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 21:55 ----------

I think the 'Carbrook Hall' is still there.

You're right it is but much further down road.

Station hotel is owned by a mate of mine, he did let it out to a guy who tried running it as a pub but it didn't work out so now it is a Shisha bar place.

Carlton pub is still there, it's a traditional style pub but I must say over Xmas and new year he didn't look very busy to me.

I think the only other one open is the Don valley hotel.

I know who owns horse and jocky and they did want to turn it into a grilled kebab place but council were being restrictive on the opening times and the news agent next door removed his consent for the extractor fan that is in place as it overhangs his boundary so council gave permission and one of the conditions is that the extractor is installed within the building going up to the roof area. This would involve major structural work so he decided to rent it out as a pub but the people running it held a couple of niche type events and due to a few incidents of fighting the council and police shut them down and won't allow them to reopen.

Station hotel is owned by a mate of mine, he did let it out to a guy who tried running it as a pub but it didn't work out so now it is a Shisha bar place.

Carlton pub is still there, it's a traditional style pub but I must say over Xmas and new year he didn't look very busy to me.

I think the only other one open is the Don valley hotel.

I know who owns horse and jocky and they did want to turn it into a grilled kebab place but council were being restrictive on the opening times and the news agent next door removed his consent for the extractor fan that is in place as it overhangs his boundary so council gave permission and one of the conditions is that the extractor is installed within the building going up to the roof area. This would involve major structural work so he decided to rent it out as a pub but the people running it held a couple of niche type events and due to a few incidents of fighting the council and police shut them down and won't allow them to reopen.

I don't think Attercliffe will ever become again a popular night out spot like it was . The Carlton for sale price has been reduced so clearly no one is interested perhaps end up been sold and reused for something else.

Has The Wellington at Darnall been converted into apartments or something else? I went past the other day but didn't get a good look.

I saw the Cutlers on Worksop Road which went to Farahs and been shut for years, has been converted to flats I think.

Edited by iansheff