Ecclesall hype

Im currious about the way that certain people, rave about eccleshall! All that is there as far as I can see is, 1930 style houses wow nothing special there then, and a student culture and personaly I would like to live a little distance from the students as they seem to be taking over the city, (not that I have an issue with them just like a tidy quite area). So from what I can tell, from reading this forum for many weeks now, the hype about eccleshall, is just a few people trying too make their area sound a little bit fancier than what it is which is a 1930's suberb, with a lot of students. And before you start saying that Im in envy of you from eccleshall I most certainly am not!!

Accept the area as what it is dont dress it up to be something its not!! Now lets have all these biased views that Im sure will follow

Oh great, another Ecclesall argument. Although about the student thing - I think students live around Ecclesall Road rather than Ecclesall itself - which isn't particularly studenty.

Cue t020.

Ecclesall is pleasant enough but IMO there are much better areas in Sheffield. My favourite is Whirlow.

My mistake then with stating that it has a high student poulation but still I can not see where all this hype come's from it really is nothing special.

The more people bang on about something the more others believe them but not this time (ECCLESHALL NOTHING SPECIAL AGREE)

If so what makes your area better or what makes eccleshall not as good as certain people would have us believe

Originally posted by poster

Im currious about the way that certain people, rave about eccleshall! All that is there as far as I can see is, 1930 style houses wow nothing special there then, and a student culture and personaly I would like to live a little distance from the students as they seem to be taking over the city, (not that I have an issue with them just like a tidy quite area). So from what I can tell, from reading this forum for many weeks now, the hype about eccleshall, is just a few people trying too make their area sound a little bit fancier than what it is which is a 1930's suberb, with a lot of students. And before you start saying that Im in envy of you from eccleshall I most certainly am not!!

Accept the area as what it is dont dress it up to be something its not!! Now lets have all these biased views that Im sure will follow

This is an example of an individual associating Ecclesall (correct spelling) with a student area. While Ecclesall Road is very much student orientated Ecclesall the area (not the road) is not.

I agree with mo that Whirlow is nicer than Ecclesall, but I must say Ecclesall is nice and affluent in it's own right. The 'ward' of Ecclesall covers parts of upper Ecclesall Road (down to Hunters Bar Roundabout I think) so I can see where the assumtpion and association of Ecclesall with students is.

The 1930 housing in some (not all) areas of Ecclesall apeals to a lot of people. They are sturdily built with solid walls and good sound proofing making them a very sought after investment. However these can be found in other areas.

I wait with baited breath to read what t020 will make of this thread and his contributions to it.

If you do a search on the forum you will see that the Ecclesall debate has been done to death and most of the people around these parts have had enough of it.

To be honest you are entitled to your opinion and we welcome it, and I for one don't think you envy those who reside in the Ecclesall area (where ever you percieve that to be).

It's a case of you like where you like and to each there own.

For the record I don't live in Ecclesall or anywhere in the south west sheffield area, so my post is not just a defensive one.

Thanks daBouncer, as you stated about the housing you can find these property's else where, so as I stated before it is nothing special. Now I can apriciate that we all like the place we live, but I get so fed up with the Ecclesall bunch bashing on about how good it is and putting other areas down, when really it is no better than many other places in sheffield so come on ecclesall admit it your area is just hype nothing special

Originally posted by poster

Thanks daBouncer, as you stated about the housing you can find these property's else where, so as I stated before it is nothing special. Now I can apriciate that we all like the place we live, but I get so fed up with the Ecclesall bunch bashing on about how good it is and putting other areas down, when really it is no better than many other places in sheffield so come on ecclesall admit it your area is just hype nothing special

If this is not t020 bait then I don't know what is. I'm taking cover right now :D

Originally posted by Mo

If this is not t020 bait then I don't know what is. I'm taking cover right now :D

Jesus - I've got my head under the table RIGHT now !!!!

I'm a little biased as I've lived in Greystones Cliffe for most of my life, which is just next to Ecclesall. I love living here and it's a shame I can't get anywhere near affording somewere to live in the area. Schools, easy access to the peak district, generally leafy area are all reasons why it's a sought after area.

And a reminder to everyone S11 is not the same as Ecclesall, which is just a small part of it.

I've seen estate agents use the old trick of saying somewhere's in Ecclesall when it's north of Hunters Bar. Go south about a mile or two and you're about in the right place!

Come to think of it, I can't think of any student accommodation that's actually in Ecclesall. The last of the student houses die out around Banner Cross. ;)

Edit: Eek! I hadn't realised that there was so much history to this discussion. What a n00b. Taking cover...

If this isn't "trolling" then I don't know what is. Shame the moderators are so biased on this forum. I won't be tempted into this debate, but will leave you only to look at house prices which show that people are willing to pay huge prices to live here, so there must be nice things about it ;)

Originally posted by ear8dmg

Edit: Eek! I hadn't realised that there was so much history to this discussion. What a n00b. Taking cover...

I presume by "n00b" you mean me? I'm fed up of this. If you looked into the full history you'd realise that someone a long, long time ago created a thread entitled "Murder in Ecclesall", when infact the murder happened near the old Wards Brewery site at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd (which as you say, is not Ecclesall by any stretch of the imagination). My only real crime was to point this out, and from then on things snowballed into arguments about Ecclesall Rd/ Ecclesall. I am baited in every single thread I contribute to, mainly by a 'core' of forum members, and insults are flung in both directions (but I'm the one who gets punishments). There have also been newer members jumping on the bandwagon without even knowing what has gone on. Recently however, a few members have begun to realise how unfairly I get treated on here and I have received supporting PMs on the matter. One even created a thread on the matter, only to have it removed within minutes (surprise surprise). I think a lot of people, including me, are completely fed up of it, but it keeps on getting dragged back up by idiots trying to stir it, such as the creator of this thread. Were I to create a thread "trolling" people in this way, one of the (IMO completely biased) moderators would have it removed in minutes (just like this post will probably be).