Moving to Lodge Moor

Hi my wife & I will be relocating to Sheffield and we have been looking at new houses. There is a DW build at Lodge Moore (old hospital) where we liked some of the detached houses (rather pricey).

Can anyone advice us on the area, the primary/secondary schools (no kids, wife a teacher), the council, and the overall location in respect to theft, security, local society.

Any info much appreciated

It's about as good as it gets really which is why the houses are expensive.

Schools are very good. Lots of local groups focused on the Hallam Society - they even have their own rather smart centre that has every sort of activity imaginable and you will find more about them in the annual "Hallam Citizen" booklet that they distribute annually to every home. Virtually no crime, and what bit there is tends to come into the area to steal nice cars.

The city centre is only 10 minutes by car at the weekend, but the Peak District is at the end of the road.

One thing you should know though - it's VERY cold in the winter, at least 2 degrees colder than the rest of the city, so its not for the nesh. There's often still snow around weeks after its melted from everywhere else, including the bits of Sheffield where people think it's high like Crookes.

Utterly, utterly glorious in summer though. :cool:

Tony has just about summed it up.

Good area, good schools, good countryside.

It does look a nice development too

Originally posted by Tony

The city centre is only 10 minutes by car at the weekend,

Yeah, maybe at 2am....

Yea... it is usually 10 minutes... except between 8 and 9 am when the roads are full of mothers from Ecclesall in their 4x4's taking their offspring to the private schools around the area. Then it's 20(ish) minutes.

Incomers ... PAH! :P

PS.. I've literally just done the drive from town to Lodge Moor in 8 minutes. Nothing like a bit of experience contrasted with ignorant comments.. eh T020?

Lodge Moor temperature update... it's -3 degrees outside at the moment, +1 degree when I left town. I said it was always colder. Brrrrrrrr.....

Originally posted by Tony

PS.. I've literally just done the drive from town to Lodge Moor in 8 minutes. Nothing like a bit of experience contrasted with ignorant comments.. eh T020?

My point being that the quoted 10 mins only applies to times like when you LITERALLY just did the drive. Any normal daytime hours, including Saturdays, take longer. Thought you lived in Fulwood anyway, Tony? Much nicer there than Lodge Moor, IMO. Faceless new developments Vs traditional housing with mature, beautiful gardens.... tough choice.

Originally posted by t020

My point being that the quoted 10 mins only applies to times like when you LITERALLY just did the drive. Any normal daytime hours, including Saturdays, take longer.

Check my original post - I said 10 minutes at the weekend. My drive that way home did demonstrate that it took LITERALLY 8 minutes to get to the shops on Rochester Rd on that occasion. ;)

Originally posted by t020

My point being that the quoted 10 mins only applies to times like when you LITERALLY just did the drive. Any normal daytime hours, including Saturdays, take longer. Thought you lived in Fulwood anyway, Tony? Much nicer there than Lodge Moor, IMO. Faceless new developments Vs traditional housing with mature, beautiful gardens.... tough choice.

Having lived in both Fulwood and Lodge Moor, I prefer Lodge Moor. Not all of Lodge Moor is "faceless new developments", in fact most of the houses are similar age to many houses in Fulwood. I find the neighbours slightly friendlier and more genuine in Lodge Moor, and it is also flatter than much of Fulwood (once you have come up the hill from Broomhill/Crosspool).

Fulwood is very nice, but I just find Lodge Moor that bit more convinient. Fulwood could be a bit of a nightmare come winter, when travelling up and down the hills which were often ungritted. Redmires Road tends to be quite good for being gritted, and is relatively flat(ish).

It is hardly worth disputing that it takes 10 mins to drive to Lodge Moor. Whether it takes precisely 10mins or not doesn't matter, the point is it is usually quick to get to considering how far in distance it is away from the centre.

Thanks for the feedback; at least we know the area is good (even if the weather is milder!!). What and where are the local supermarkets (Asda, Morrison, Tesco...) & best places to go out (restaurants, wine bars...).

Where is the nearest cinema complex, DIY store, good furniture shops (new house and all that).

All these usual questions and more!

All feedback appreciated

All the facilities are either in town or on the way to town. If you work on the basis that most places are only 10 - 15 minutes drive you won't go far wrong.

We tend to use Tesco at Abbeydale (for other reasons than nearness) and are trying to get into the habit of using their internet delivery service for bulky stuff, and the butcher and greengrocer for fresh food.

Don't get the idea that Lodge Moor is milder, quite the reverse, especially when the wind blows ... its only flatter because it's at the top of the hill going down whereas Fulwood is at the bottom going up. :D I'm looking out of my window at snow on the pavement right now.:wow:

PS.. for T020's info, I live on the cusp of Fulwood / Lodge Moor. Officially it's Fulwood, but I always say it's Fulwood in the Summer, Lodge Moor in the winter. Brrrrrr :)

Lodge Moor - love the place! I'm down the road a little in x-pool, but we reguarly go out there either to have a meal at the Three Merry Lads - another plus, or to walk/cycle/kite fly etc....

Excellent butchers in x-pool, and good veg shops as well.

Close to good local schools.

It is cold though, and does get the snowy.

Crime wise - well I don't think anywhere's safe these days in terms of property crime.

Next question - do you know about selling/buying houses in Sheffield, and the ridiculous system operated here?