Music Scene (bands)

My husband and I are moving specifically because of Music. He is an aspiring musician wanting to get a band together/join and our past-time is watching live bands (of the heavy metal variety) :twisted:

What are the venues like for small to well known bands??

What is the scene like?? :?

We first thought of Nottingham (Rock city), but like what we have heard about sheffield (country-side near, good schools etc) as we have children & a dog.

I thought Rock City had died????

I canne really comment on rock venues in Sheff. My days were spent in Barnsley.

Moon Maiden

The Sheffield Music Scene is still amazingly active.

The best places to check out are...The Leadmill - one of the UK's best alternative live music venues. If you're in Sheffield, it's a must go location.

The Octagon is the largest regular venue for alternatives. Recently Idlewild played, Placebo and Less Than Jake will be playing there soon.

For smaller bands, unsigned etc. check out The Boardwalk or The Casbah - my biggest unsigned tip - "The Focus" :D playing at The Boardwalk on the 31st in a charity gig with 3 other bands, they're HOT material :!::!:

For pubs + clubs etc. theres mainstream dance places like Bed, Republic, New York New York etc. but for alternative styles, there's really only Corporation. Check out Corp on a Monday night - 50p shots!!

So, as you can see, there's plenty of music in Sheffield, as long as you go to the right places at the right times! :P

Hope this helps a little...

Cheers Dave :P

It's good to hear that there are a variety of venues available (hopefully offering something a bit heavier than Placebo :roll: ).

My hubby has a feeling at present the only band to come out of sheffield is Thunder :wink: so I think will need some persuading on the contrary! Perhaps I will take him along to one of the venues you mentioned (which would you recommend?? :shock:

Will keep an eye out for 'The focus' !

Regards

Yvonne :D

If you're looking for something heavy, then try Corp on a Metal night...it escapes me which one it is, but there is one I'm sure.

If you're looking for Dillinger Escape Plan - style "music" :twisted: then you'll have to do a little more research. There are some heavy bands around, mainly punk though. If you're looking for *true* metal bands, then you'll have to look to Corp and their gigs, perhaps The Boardwalk on occassions. But, to avoid dissappointment, try and talk to someone who'se seen the band already, some of them are attrotious!!

Although not the heaviest band in the world, The Focus do have some heavy things. It's more about guitar talent and vocals with them though. If you want an up and comming band with a !"£$ load of talent, check em out. :D

That's what I like to hear !!!

We have a vast scope regards music - but a little fed up with the 'trendys!' which is why we like the little known & like to support local talents so will be sure to check out 'The Focus' :)

Maybe meet you up there one day ?!

Cheers :twisted:

Theres always the grapes on trippett lane for small but amazing punk/hardcore shows...

Hi Yvonne welcome to the forum

There is also the Classic Rock bar at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd, the landlady sometime posts on here. They have up and coming rock bands.

There are other pubs and clubs that have live bands.

Boardwalk

Pheasant

White Lion - London rd

Rotherham Classic Rock Society put on old bands at the Herringthorpe Leisure Centre.

Get the Sheffield Telegraph on a Friday and you will see all live listings for all types of venues.

If you like rock check out The Carnival.

Sheffield also has some great recording studios like Red Tape etc.

Good Luck

Ex rocker now a bit more mainstream

Hi, it's the landlady of the Classic Rock Bar.

If you like live rock music by local bands, then we are fully booked in April and filling up quickly for May, that means EVERY night of the week we have something going on. Free admission at all times.

If you are a musician, we run a small and friendly open mic musician night on Mondays. Leave your ego at home - there are good players and near beginners that all have a go. Nice friendly family-type environment, and sometimes all the musicians get up and jam together.

Mad Sass rock DJ (20 years of Rock DJing in Sheffield) also DJs throughout the week as well as drinking copius amounts of snakebite.

We are only across the road from Safeway and a five minute walk from the Corporation.

We've also started doing food in the evenings - usually in the shape of pie & peas, curries and sandwiches.

That sounds great!

It's not often you can find the opportunity to Jam with other musicians, regardless of taste in music! 8)

It would be a good opportunity for my husband to take up and for us to meet with like-minded people :D

Thanks

May well see you soon !!

Yvonne

I'm just wondering if any of you managed to make it down to the Charity gig @ The Boardwalk to see The Focus on 31st March. I was there, and they totally rocked the place out!!

After deductions from door sales for the Sound Engineer, and the Boardwalk cut, the night raised well over £230 for Charity. Everyone that I could see had a thoroughly great time. The band played 2nd from top, and really set the crowd going.

For those of you who missed it, The Boardwalk have asked them to play again on Bank Holiday Monday - May 5th, where I have it on good authority that they're new EP will be available!!

Did anyone manage to make it down? :twisted:

I moved from Leeds in November and am wondering where the support is for local music in this city.

In this short time I have experienced the cute rocking cheek bones of Tommy Binks, the profound soulful emotion of This Floating World and the sublime Jody Wildgoose and of course many other amazing local bands, but where are the kids?

In Leeds the student population are well into supporting the local scene but in Sheff the students are all more mainstream and corporately led. Beer and crap student nights all the way.

Why Sheff folk stay at home (unless it's pound a pint night) and if there's anything we can do to change this.

Let me know what you think guys?