Who buys these books

Have seen over the last couple of days 2 books,how to survive a divorce by Anthea Turner and how to be a single mum by Nick Knowles ex wife,it looks pretty obvious to me they are just making pennies out of it but who reads this trash.

People who want a while a few hours away with some easy reading in the sunshine, maybe a cup of tea or a long cool drink. Peaceful and relaxing with nothing but a few birds chattering in the trees bordering the tennis court adjacent to the swimming pool.

People who want a while a few hours away with some easy reading in the sunshine, maybe a cup of tea or a long cool drink. Peaceful and relaxing with nothing but a few birds chattering in the trees bordering the tennis court adjacent to the swimming pool.

Easy reading....ok yes.

Not me, because there're just not up my cup of tea. I'd much prefer reading about contemporary art, the memphis style movement, or retro stuff. That sort of thing.:)

Have seen over the last couple of days 2 books,how to survive a divorce by Anthea Turner and how to be a single mum by Nick Knowles ex wife,it looks pretty obvious to me they are just making pennies out of it but who reads this trash.

Hang on I'm sure Anthea Turner was writing books on how to be a perfect housewife sometime ago...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Perfect-Housewife-household-management/dp/0753512858

Given that her and her Grant Bovey have split, she's written a book on how to get over divorce.

I wonder if the next book title will be 'How To Survive The Menopause', or 'How To Survive as an Ex TV Presenter' :suspect:

Given that an alarming number of Amazon best sellers are actually adult colouring books it's not that bad. A lot of people can relate to a divorce at least.

Hang on I'm sure Anthea Turner was writing books on how to be a perfect housewife sometime ago...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Perfect-Housewife-household-management/dp/0753512858

Given that her and her Grant Bovey have split, she's written a book on how to get over divorce.

I wonder if the next book title will be 'How To Survive The Menopause', or 'How To Survive as an Ex TV Presenter' :suspect:

That's what I mean,who buys them,surely people are not stupid enough to pay for these and put money into these so called celebs pockets.Did,t she divorce her hubby a few years back and re marry him.

What next Fearne Mcanns book how to not get pregnant by a physco.

You would be surprised, that kind of books have actually more than average sale these days.

Its on the same level with Kardashian and other reality rubbish shows.

Sad I know, but as a result of this thread I looked up Nick Knowles on Wikipedia and found out that between wives the jammy git was shacked up with Suzi Perry for a few years. If he wrote a book on how to get off with Suzi Perry, then I might be interested in buying it.

You would be surprised, that kind of books have actually more than average sale these days.

Its on the same level with Kardashian and other reality rubbish shows.

Its getting harder and harder for creative people such as writers and illustrators to get their stuff published because too often, publishers are going for books from movie franchises and celebrity stuff.

Its getting harder and harder for creative people such as writers and illustrators to get their stuff published because too often, publishers are going for books from movie franchises and celebrity stuff.

There does seem to be a bit of a celebrity author phase going on of late in children's publishing, especially, for some reason, with comedians (David Walliams, David Baddiel, Mitch Benn, Russell Brand, Ricky Gervais etc). None of them use ghost writers, though, and Baddiel especially is an excellent writer (as is Simon Mayo, to extend the category a bit).

It's a bit different with some of the other 'names' publishers are rushing to sign up: Zoella - one of the YouTube stars that youngsters inexplicably love - and her PR department apparently weren't explicit about the role of the ghost writer behind her first novel.

It's not so much the celebrity, though that does usually promise a built-in potential readership; it's more that you're viewed as more bankable if you have a 'platform' and are thought to be 'authentic'. Thought of a fantastic idea for a thriller about an intrepid pathologist going after a serial killer? It'll help with the foot in the door if you worked as a forensic pathologist, particularly in an exciting senior role.

Genuinely new and exciting ideas fleshed out into stories by talented writers will usually find their way into print. You just have to work a little harder at getting an agent and/or publisher to sit up and take notice.

---------- Post added 26-04-2017 at 15:58 ----------

...who reads this trash.

While I wouldn't call stuff I don't care for 'trash' necessarily, I can't relate to dipping into autobiographies and other tales by and about victims of abuse, especially children horribly abused by their parents. But armfuls of those white-jacketed books featuring pictures of grim-faced children still make it onto supermarket shelves.

Same goes for the current trend for pastel-coloured, bittersweet tales about cosy little tea shops, or book shops, or wedding shops, or cake shops, usually set at Christmas. It's like someone has binged on stale cup cakes, chocolate and chardonnay and sicked up all over Waterstones.

It's not so much the celebrity, though that does usually promise a built-in potential readership; it's more that you're viewed as more bankable if you have a 'platform' and are thought to be 'authentic'. Thought of a fantastic idea for a thriller about an intrepid pathologist going after a serial killer? It'll help with the foot in the door if you worked as a forensic pathologist, particularly in an exciting senior role.

I suppose it might be even more authentic if you'd worked as a serial killer.