Sign in to follow this  

Greenhill, what's it like

We (Me, my husband and 2 little kids) are moving up to Sheffield and have seen a house in Greenhill, whats the area like?We are moving up from London and need a decent primary school, nice park (we love the outdoors)Any where in sheffield to Kite Board??

We also want to buy a very cheap house to rent out, where would be good?? Or any ideas on what and where for a small catering buisness (cafe/bar/restaurant/takeaway)???

Any ideas very welcome...Thanks

Mel.

Where abouts at Greenhill?

As a rule the areas is very nice, although some parts are a little close to lowedges which is largley council property. Not a problem but some don't like it. The lower end of Greenhill (towards) Woodseats/Beauchief etc is very nice.

Kite Boarding... well I'm sure you'll have no problem doing that in the large open park which is Graves Park. Not to far from Greenhill.

Takeaway... well that all depends on your market. What sort of food? Cafe/Bar... well there is woodseats although to make the big bucks you'll need to either be in town or on Ecclesall Road.

Low cost home to rent out.... how low cost do you want?

What sort of tennants do you want to attract?

Meersbrook / Meadowhead / Norton / Bradway are all decent areas.. probably would attract professionals and wouldn't set you back loads. However Whirlow / Ranmoor / Dore / Ecclesall would ALL set you back a small fortune but would definately attract professionals.

I'm sure you could get some more advice from others on the forum.

I hope this helped!:thumbsup:

From what I've seen of Greenhill it seems pleasant and leafy enough. I'd second DaBouncer in recommending the parts near to Beauchief as opposed to the parts nearer Lowedges though.

Thanks,

Greenhill Main road appears to be in the middle and thats where i ve seen 1 house, be honest with me guys cause its a long way to come up and see a house only to find its on a busy road and next to a big estate?The estate agents arnt helpfull in these matters..

Also what,s this about how sheffield properties go for 20% over the asking price??

Thanks again for any help,

Melanie.

For local info on a postcode on Greenhill Main Road, go to http://www.upmystreet.com/overview/?l1=S8+7RA

I'm not sure how big the road is but it seems quite near the Greenhill Parkway which is quite a big road. Also, probably a bit too near Lowedges for my liking. What is your budget and what kind of house style/size are you looking for? I may be able to make some recommendations.

Originally posted by melnic

We are moving up from London and need a decent primary school, nice park (we love the outdoors)Any where in sheffield to Kite Board??

Any ideas very welcome...Thanks

Mel.

Power Kiters with buggys can often be spotted at the fields next to the Sportman pub on the way put to redmires reservoirs. Not seen many boarders there (I'm assuming you're talking about the wheeled variety).

Its here N53.371 , E-1.5779

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=428182&y=386098&z=3&sv=428182,386098&st=4&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=820

Sheffield Kite club flies there also, although to my mind the airflow is not nearly laminar enough with a wooded area to the commonly windward edge of the field.

It's true about the house prices.

Budget for a bidding war of up to 20% above the asking price.

Sheffield is strange in that the housing market is so sought after that some state agents deliberatley under value the house to start the bidding wars. If it's possible avoid buying a house with Blundells.

Go for someone like the Halifax estate agency. However when you come to sell your house Blundells would be the clears choice to get the most for your house.

Greenhill is very nice and but like I say if it's closer to Lowedges you may not like it. Towards the bottom is very nice although most of the roads round that way are busy.

You ever thought about looking at Sothall? Close to the peak district and Rothervalley Country park. House prices (although are going up) the area is lovely, quiet, crime free (well as free as any nice area... bound to be the odd spot), and the transport links are local enough to commute to the city centre or Leeds for example.

The Post codes you'd be looking at are S20, S19, S21 for Sothall (incidentaly was recently voted the best place to buy a house in England). Give us an idea on your primary (where you'll live) house budget and we'll see what we can come up with.

If you have a fair whack to spend (£250k minimum) then Whirlow, Dore, Fulwood and Ecclesall might be worth a look. The homes are very expensive but the areas are very nice!

I moved from Islington to Sheffield and the first house I lived in was in Greenhill. I found the area ok but a bit too surburbia for me. There is a small local supermarket and a few shops. My neighbours scared me away by saying they were building a fence to keep the 'ethnics' out!.

There are no aminities for the kids and I had to drive them everywhere but very close to some wonderful countryside.

Try the Sheffield kite flyers website. They are really nice people.

Good luck with your move