The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Would you accept a way of doing something in a way that you disagree with in order to have stability.

That's a good question. I'm not sure to be honest! It depends on the subject really. If you change things around changes will cost money. Take the NHS, public services in general I suppose. They're being cut to the quick now but in say in an election or two labour win, they'll want to pump money back in and provide more jobs (in theory) so you have to hire staff (costs money) train them (more money), pensions (more money).

Markets like stability though - just look at exchange rates post brexit. We've done nowt and they're all over the place.

I guess the country as a whole likes stability, we have had a period now of both main parties fighting over the centre (right) voter for a fair few years now, with both tinkering round the edges. We don't really do extremes.

Until now.

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 20:30 ----------

Millions of people didn't vote to be part of the EU and they didn't vote for the laws and rules that were imposed on them.

What laws don't you like? Do like any they've brought in?

That's a good question. I'm not sure to be honest! It depends on the subject really. If you change things around changes will cost money. Take the NHS, public services in general I suppose. They're being cut to the quick now but in say in an election or two labour win, they'll want to pump money back in and provide more jobs (in theory) so you have to hire staff (costs money) train them (more money), pensions (more money).

Markets like stability though - just look at exchange rates post brexit. We've done nowt and they're all over the place.

I guess the country as a whole likes stability, we have had a period now of both main parties fighting over the centre (right) voter for a fair few years now, with both tinkering round the edges. We don't really do extremes.

Until now.

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 20:30 ----------

What laws don't you like? Do like any they've brought in?

When the views of millions of people are ignored an extreme response is inevitable.

When the views of millions of people are ignored an extreme response is inevitable.

I think the views of a lot of people have been ignored over the years, I just think they're kicking out at the wrong people. The EU, with its many many many faults, did a lot for disadvantaged people in this country. Some might realise that when it's gone.

Aren't Canada negotiating access to the Single Market?

... without free movement?

And hopefully it won't take much longer than the 7 years it's taken so far.

:roll:

Don't be ridiculous.

It's not possible to trade with anyone without free movement, no one has ever achieved this!!

-

oh hang on...

This is (with kind permission from Medusa) a thread to replace the closed The consequence thread which was closed largely because people kept running to the moderators and asking them to take sides.

Also do remember people (and this includes me) that swearing masked with stars or other symbols is against the rules.

We've been given a second chance here people for something I know many of us want to discuss. Let's not mess it up (this includes me as I'm as much at fault as anybody).

I'm afraid I won't be joining you. As a consequence of the recent decision I wont be participating on the forum for the future.

:roll:

Don't be ridiculous.

It's not possible to trade with anyone without free movement, no one has ever achieved this!!

-

oh hang on...

With very strict limitations on how much Canada can actually export into the EU. Effectively, protectionism for the EU states through the backdoor. That's all the access they can have. We want total free access which we won't get if we follow the Canadian route. So it is still true, no one has had true access to the single market without the free movement of people.

I'm afraid I won't be joining you. As a consequence of the recent decision I wont be participating on the forum for the future.

That's a great shame. I do understand though.

Yes they are. A figure of 98% tariff free access has been negotiated, which will rise to 99% tariff free access.

The UK should be able to negotiate at least a similar very high percentage free access to the single market. I wouldn't have a problem if the UK was to agree to a 15% tariff on Scottish Whisky as a sweetener in order to achieve 99% tariff free access to the single market.

Millions of people didn't vote to be part of the EU and they didn't vote for the laws and rules that were imposed on them.

That isn't what I asked, I asked if you could give an example of UK citizens being ignored by the EU.

And as I have pointed out before - the UK government could have blocked the EU from implementing it, would it have chosen to do so :)

Sorry missed this before:

One UK government had the opportunity to block it and didnt'. Later governments are then bound by that. This is not acceptable.

At each general election, parliament seeks a new mandate from the people which must include the option to overturn all policy. If such policy it locked by EU membership, this is lost.

As I say. Volatile, but accountable.

You cannot have accountability and stability. I understand that there are advantages to stability, and I don't care. It's not worth the sacrifice of accountability.