Parking with headlights on (full/dipped)

1. Don't.

2. Especially don't if it's dark.

3. Even more, don't on the 'against traffic flow' side of the road.

You might know that you've parked and what you're going to do next. No-one else does.

I assume you don't mean sidelights before everyone gets on about the Highway Code ?

One of the worse offenders in our area is the local Dr's home visit car, engine running headlights on whilst the Dr does his visit.

Edited by willman

I seem to remember it's in the highway code to switch off your headlights when parked.

1. Don't.

2. Especially don't if it's dark.

3. Even more, don't on the 'against traffic flow' side of the road.

You might know that you've parked and what you're going to do next. No-one else does.

What a lot of people don't actually realise (those who do this), is that the beam on headlights is deliberately set to be pointing slightly to the left. So parking on the wrong side of the road even with dipped headlights on dazzles oncoming traffic. It appears to oncoming vehicles that you have 'full beam' on.

Kindly inform the manufacturers of Xenon headlights about this. They recommend that they are not turned off unless the stationary situation is expected to last for some time.

Kindly inform the manufacturers of Xenon headlights about this. They recommend that they are not turned off unless the stationary situation is expected to last for some time.

It depends on the definition of 'some time'

Highway code says..

"248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space

[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]"

..."

Won't that trump the manufacturer's recommendation?

Highway code says..

"248

You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space

[Laws CUR reg 101 & RVLR reg 24]"

..."

Won't that trump the manufacturer's recommendation?

I am sure that the Highway Code would trump that - along with trumping the warranty.

Far too much trumping for me !

It depends on the definition of 'some time'

Have you got the dialling code for Stuttgart ?

What a lot of people don't actually realise (those who do this), is that the beam on headlights is deliberately set to be pointing slightly to the left. So parking on the wrong side of the road even with dipped headlights on dazzles oncoming traffic. It appears to oncoming vehicles that you have 'full beam' on.

.... and, when dazzled by these lights, anyone driving towards the parked car cannot see much behind or to the side of the car so a passenger getting in or out risks getting clobbered.

"Don't actually realise/think" is a phrase we could use to describe a lot of drivers/driving.

This has always been a pet hate of mine, the takeaway delivery person near me does it all the time - facing the 'wrong' way, on a bend which is at a bad junction, with headlights on :rant: