British Overseas Aid?

I read that some spurious international rules prohibit the UK from using its overseas aid budget to help British Overseas Territories' residents engulfed and made mostly homeless by the recent hurricanes- on the bizarre grounds that they are 'too rich'. Would that apply to insurance, then? [No]. And, anyway, what business is it of other countries to dictate how UK funds should be used? [None].

See BBC report at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41258435

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

The poor indigenous population should get aid, but not the tax dodging Brits who moved there.

The poor indigenous population should get aid, but not the tax dodging Brits who moved there.

Absolutely back on.

I read that some spurious international rules prohibit the UK from using its overseas aid budget to help British Overseas Territories' residents engulfed and made mostly homeless by the recent hurricanes- on the bizarre grounds that they are 'too rich'. Would that apply to insurance, then? [No]. And, anyway, what business is it of other countries to dictate how UK funds should be used? [None].

See BBC report at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41258435

I'm guessing they mean these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aid

and there doesn't seem to be anything spurious about them.

i'm quite sure the government could use part of the aid budget for this if they wanted too but i doubt they actually want to do anything and rather than admit that they choose to blame an international organisation.

This disaster is exactly the sort of thing the foreign aid budget should be used for. Not giving it away to any country that wants a hand out. Most of it gets embezzled by warlords and dictators anyway.

I personally think the foreign aid budget is a disgrace, especially as the money could be spent on the public sector pay and services.

And now we actually want to help our own people and we arent allowed. What will they do to us anyway?

We are the only country in the world who seems to follow these rules and it always holds us back.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

We are the only country in the world who seems to follow these rules

what makes you think we are?

what makes you think we are?

right wing paranoia and bigotry mostly :hihi:

But if it's a British territory, can't it come out of a different pot? Can't we offer to buy what's left of their houses or something or fiddle it some other way?

More to the point, how are France and the Netherlands getting on helping their islands in the sun?

But if it's a British territory, can't it come out of a different pot?

EXACTLY, its not foriegn aid, its our own territory, it should come from us, not diverted from foriegn aid funds

But if it's a British territory, can't it come out of a different pot? Can't we offer to buy what's left of their houses or something or fiddle it some other way?

More to the point, how are France and the Netherlands getting on helping their islands in the sun?

By treating it as a national disaster. The UK can't really do that though as they designated these islands as tax havens. the BVIs are renowned as being a comfy retirement place for bankers that made it.

Bad for the poor people on the island, but perhaps the fat cats ought to cough up instead of the UK tax payer.

Not that SkyLine would like to hear that, after all, what better than to be a patriotic nationalist frothing over ''international rule''.

right wing paranoia and bigotry mostly :hihi:

Im saying that we should cut the foreign aid budget to pay nurses, police and care workers more money instead or sending it to dictators and warlords and you call me a bigot?

You're a pathetic snowflake :roll:

Edited by SkylinePhoto