Yorkshire independence/devolution

I think this will happen, not in the near future but within the next 20-30 years. People are sick of being run by unaccountable governments hundreds of miles away. England will split up into probably 10-12 smaller countries IMO.

I think this will happen, not in the near future but within the next 20-30 years. People are sick of being run by unaccountable governments hundreds of miles away. England will split up into probably 10-12 smaller countries IMO.

Really? Is this opinion based on anything?

I read that as..

"I hope this will happen even to the point of my home and it's little garden becoming a country where I can do 'who goes there?' in dads army style when anyone approaches, especially if their a funny colour.":D

People have been moaning about central government for donkeys man. England will not fracture in a millennium of Sundays..sorry to relieve myself on your prediction.

Countries are seperating all the time. Look at Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Sudan, the USSR, Bangladesh, etc etc. People want to be in control of their own destinys, not ruled over by faceless bureaucrats many miles away. The only countries to merge in the past half century were East and West Germany and plenty of people on both sides of the former wall now regret that.

Yorkshire will make a fine country. I'm over the border in Derbyshire, and I imagine the East Midlands will make a fine nation as well.

This is how I see it going, England split up into 9 countries.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England#mediaviewer/File:BLANK_in_England.svg

Really? Is this opinion based on anything?

The usual madness.

---------- Post added 07-09-2014 at 15:51 ----------

Countries are seperating all the time. Look at Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Sudan, the USSR, Bangladesh, etc etc.

All the time? Czechoslovakia, the USSR and Yugoslavia all split over 20 years ago at more or less the same time as a result of the collapse of the USSR. To balance things up a bit Germany reunited. Putin is currently trying to redress that balance.

Sudan split up recently, as did Serbia and Montenegro. Scotland is about to go independent. It can only be a good thing. Smaller countres are more democratically representitive with more accountable governments.

Sudan split up recently, as did Serbia and Montenegro. Scotland is about to go independent.

these countries along with those that made up old Czechoslovakia, yougoslavia, the ussr etc had a long individual existance before they were created largely as a consequence of the end of the first world war and the rise of communism. if both side agree to the separation then unwinding them is a comparatively easy task.

england on the other hand has had over a thousand years as an identifiable entity so breaking that up will be much harder.

It can only be a good thing. Smaller countres are more democratically representitive with more accountable governments.

not sure that they are really.

Countries are seperating all the time. Look at Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Sudan, the USSR, Bangladesh, etc etc. People want to be in control of their own destinys, not ruled over by faceless bureaucrats many miles away. The only countries to merge in the past half century were East and West Germany and plenty of people on both sides of the former wall now regret that.

Yorkshire will make a fine country. I'm over the border in Derbyshire, and I imagine the East Midlands will make a fine nation as well.

This is how I see it going, England split up into 9 countries.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England#mediaviewer/File:BLANK_in_England.svg

None of the examples you gave are even remotely like the situation in England at the moment.

People are sick of being lorded over by governments miles away. If we were ruled by governments in our own town and city centre, and our taxes went, not to the other end of the country, or the other side of the world, but to projects on our own street, or the next street along, there would be far less resentment of government and far more harmony IMO.

I certainly think over the last 30 or so years, the regions / local government have become increasingly powerless, and London has assumed greater powers over our lives - and it does breed resentment. However I don't think independence for the regions is the answer.....

I certainly think over the last 30 or so years, the regions / local government have become increasingly powerless, and London has assumed greater powers over our lives - and it does breed resentment. However I don't think independence for the regions is the answer.....

indeed, what is needed is a radical decentralisation handing power back to local councils