Experience with children needed!

Hi all

I am hoping to get some experience with children with disabilities in order to get into portage work, (supporting families with children with learning disabilities/physical disabilities)

Does anyone know of any places/organisations/charities who accept volunteers? I currently work as a nurse but with adults with learning disabilities.

thank you! xxx

Hi i know mencap used to im not sure if they still do! will have a think and get back to you x

Hi all

I am hoping to get some experience with children with disabilities in order to get into portage work, (supporting families with children with learning disabilities/physical disabilities)

Does anyone know of any places/organisations/charities who accept volunteers? I currently work as a nurse but with adults with learning disabilities.

thank you! xxx

Youth clubs.

My neice goes to one (ill find out where) and they have special needs kids there and so have people who are qualified to work with them.

Try some local youth clubs and if they cant help they will prolly know who can. Good luck, great cause and i wish you all the best :)

Hey all

Thanks for all your replies, will look into those things

Cheers! xxx

Hi. You could apply to be a PA for a child with Additional Needs. Our son is 7 and he receives direct payments so that we can employ a PA of our choice. We started with 6 hours a week and his PA takes him out swimming, to the park, to Mencap Gateway on a Friday night comes with us on days out. If you are interested you could contact Children and Young Peoples Services at the Council to obtain a list of companies who employ PAs. Good luck! x

good luck, portage is an amazing service :)