Problems with tenants paying rent

any one had problems with tenants in receipt of housing benefits not paying their rent?i have had to chase my tenants month after month i asked them to pay it every two weeks when they received it to make it easier for them but no.phone calls not returned mobile phones changed every week or two i would nt mind but we live less than five minutes away how hard is it to drop it round or give me a ring to collect.i asked them to arrange a direct debit or ask the housing benefit to pay direct but no. housing benefit will not pay direct to me until they are 8 weeks in arrears! dont people know we have mortgages to pay?get this as well, benefit fraud do not consider it fraud to receive housing benefit and not use it for the purpose it is paid ie TO PAY RENT! so now they have been issued notice to quit everyone up in arms and you can bet the homeless team will tell them to stay put until we take them to court as has happened before.!!now to add insult to injury we receive letters from a new dept. in council telling us there is a shortage of council housing and if we are willing for them to find tenants they will arrange a bond and organise housing benefit to be paid direct to us! why not do this in first place ?after all council tenants on housing benefit don t get theirs paid to them the council make sure they get it first, one rule for one eh?

Its people like them that give people like me a bad name - I cant get anywhere at all...

Get them out! They obviously have moral problems and in my experience you are unlikely to get paid up to date. I stopped taking in HB but now only consider HB if they have a guarantor and tick the box on the application form that HB is to be paid direct. As it happens my last house that came up for rent I had plenty of HB tenants with what they thought was a guarantor but every guarantor failed the credit check due to having ccj's? Finished up with a tax payer instead.

But it is not only HB tenants who don't pay rent, there are plenty of workers who put the cost of a car before the rent who default. Like I have said in previous post, take your time finding a tenant who has a perfect unblemished history and probably will always be a tenant. These perfect people have a lot to lose by defaulting on the rent as a bad credit history can make their life very difficult.

As for the Housing Solutions finding tenants with HB paid direct and help with a bond. If the tenant just ups and leaves within the ast period, well we know what problems that creates but HS leave you in the lurch. Now if they could also guarantee the HB payments for the rest of the ast period then not a problem.

Good luck with getting these tenants out.

any one had problems with tenants in receipt of housing benefits not paying their rent?i have had to chase my tenants month after month i asked them to pay it every two weeks when they received it to make it easier for them but no.phone calls not returned mobile phones changed every week or two i would nt mind but we live less than five minutes away how hard is it to drop it round or give me a ring to collect.i asked them to arrange a direct debit or ask the housing benefit to pay direct but no. housing benefit will not pay direct to me until they are 8 weeks in arrears! dont people know we have mortgages to pay?get this as well, benefit fraud do not consider it fraud to receive housing benefit and not use it for the purpose it is paid ie TO PAY RENT! so now they have been issued notice to quit everyone up in arms and you can bet the homeless team will tell them to stay put until we take them to court as has happened before.!!now to add insult to injury we receive letters from a new dept. in council telling us there is a shortage of council housing and if we are willing for them to find tenants they will arrange a bond and organise housing benefit to be paid direct to us! why not do this in first place ?after all council tenants on housing benefit don t get theirs paid to them the council make sure they get it first, one rule for one eh?

I do hope that you have NOT issued a Notice To Quit. It's invalid for a 1988 Act tenancy, you see.

Instead, serve a Notice seeking possession under s.8 of the Act [grounds 8/10/11 as applicable] or under s.21(1)(b)/s.21(4)(a).