Mining interpretive reports

Im after a bit of advice. Im a first time buyer in the process of buying a House, after having the standard mining report done it was found that there were 2 disused mine shafts in the middle of the road within 20m of the property. As the shafts were in the road and not directly under the house or inside the boundry I wasnt really worried about this. Due to the shafts being within 20m of the property the solicitors have had to do a mine entry interpretive report. We got the report back on tuesday this week and it was faxed through to the bank where im getting the mortgage from for them to approve the mortgage.

Now the issue I have is that I need to complete the purchase on or before the 23rd of March to get the stamp duty relief (we had our offer accepted on the 3rd of jan so thought it would be plenty of time) after speaking to the person at the bank who arranged our mortgage they told me they have a 4 working day turnaround for someone just to look at the report, then it goes to their surveyors who have a 7-10 day turnaround which is going to be cutting it fine to complete on or before the 23rd of march.

My question is does this turnaround time sound about right? I cant understand why it would take so long as there was nothing of concern on the interpretive report (it basically said there was no real risk to the property) another thing is the vendor currently has a mortgage on the property with the same bank (santander) who will be providing my mortgage.

It sounds like the usual silly song and dance so often connected to the house buying process, particularly so in this case, as Santander already have a mortgage on it.

I'd insist on speaking to someone in authority, point out to them the deadline, and the fact they aleady have a mortgage on it and I'm sure you'll find it's perfectly possible for them to approve it within your timescale. The knack is being sufficiently determined and persistant enough to get to speak to someone who has the necessary authority, whilst remaining polite and calm, and being very clear in your mind exactly what you want them to do.

Good luck

Yours will not be the only report they have to look at.

It will be in a strict order that they arrive on their desk.

No harm in trying to spped it up be speaking to someone higher if you can.

Always be polite and explained your position.