Moving house - what's the most stressful part?

The people that uses us always say it is cleaning there old houses to hand back, i dont think some people like returning once they have moved out!!

Most stressful part is getting to the new house and starting to unpack. Having to find a place for everything, hanging curtains or blinds, putting up pictures and making beds and generally finding out how the house works. Can't relax for at least a week because the house doesn't have my smell in it. :o( Never again!

The nasty things you find out about the property that the seller didn't tell you.

I second this. Our new house was newly refurbished. We thought it was a good thing...

It turns out 'new' means the bathroom has never been used, it leaks like mad.

Kitchen sink was not glued on properly, and so on and so on...

I lost alot of hair over moving but to be fair thats because in general im a stress head.

The problems usually surround chains of linked sales/purchases. It's not the solicitors but, instead, the various parties' conflicting timescales/requirements that cause or exacerbate the problems. A god solicitor is one who can find a way through these.

I beg to differ, I sold my house to a cash buyer, moved into digs for a bit and then bought a house for cash that was chain-free. Somehow the solicitors (mine and both others) managed to turn both transactions into labyrinthine dramas involving nailbiting levels of suspense. Fundamentally the problem seemed to boil down to a failure to properly read documents, communicate and be even slightly proactive. Among other things this meant that for quite some time I seemed to be in the process of buying completely the wrong house, and most of the potential showstoppers for both deals got left to the last minute to be sorted, even though it was obvious from the word go that they needed to be addressed. There was brick dust on my forehead by the time I was done :gag:

Er, you'd find it far more stressful without professionals on your side!

I don't think this is necessarily true at all.

From many of the posts on here from people who've chosen to market and sell their propeties themselves, they seem to have had a much less stressful time than those who post having used estate agents. Many also seemed to have saved £100's in the process, as well as having saved a load of time.

With regards to conveyancing, you know my views on that. It can be done as quick if not a a lot quicker doing it oneself, with minimum stress, and there is a cost saving too.