I need a bathroom fan

My bathroom is very soggy and steamy and I feel a fan would help the situation. I know you can buy an array of extractors from various places but how do you go about fitting them?!

Not a straight forward job for a novice, mainly due to the tools needed.

1. Core drill, not the same as a normal drill as it has a special clutch

2. Diamond core bit, 107mm or there-abouts

3. Big ladder to put grill on outside

4. Electrical tools to correctly wire into lights etc...

5. Electrical knowledge, isolator switch, competency etc...

If you aint confident of doing it correctly. pay and get a professional in. After all, its electrics in a bathroom (special location re regs)

My electrician friend says its easier and better to open a window.

Thanks people, i do open windows but still damp! Maybe I need a new roof and guttering to keep it dry from the outside!

Your Electrician friend must not want work. Rough idea of price would be £120ish

My electrician friend says its easier and better to open a window.

How on earth can it be 'better' to open a window? Where is the air flow and extraction coming from, your mate aint Billy Smarts electrician is he? I have installed many a fan to solve this kind of issue and its worked every time.

He is right on one point, yes it will be cheaper :loopy:

How on earth can it be 'better' to open a window? Where is the air flow and extraction coming from, your mate aint Billy Smarts electrician is he? I have installed many a fan to solve this kind of issue and its worked every time.

He is right on one point, yes it will be cheaper :loopy:

If one opens a window the incoming air displaces the existing moist air-for a supposed plumber your grasp of physics is tenuous.It worked for decades before modern contraptions which purport tp solve the problem.

Thanks people, i do open windows but still damp! Maybe I need a new roof and guttering to keep it dry from the outside!

I'm not going to get involved in the open a window/fit extractor debate that seems to be developing but if you think you have a problem with your roof or gutters, I'd be happy to give you a free, no obligation survey. I'm pretty local to you so no issue to check and advise.