May fleet/alfred geldard

looking for information for may fleet born in short street 1894 father joseph mother emily ann varnham she was my grandmother can you help

In 1901 May is a visitor in the house of her married sister:

1901 census

piece 4382 folio 102 page 47

4 Masbro' Terr

(Carbrook)

John NORTCLIFFE Head Marr 24 genearl labourer Barnsley

Amelia NORTCLIFFE Wife Marr 20 dressmaker Sheffield

May FLEET Visitor 6 Sheffield

while her parents are in Short St.:

piece 4382 folio 99 page 41

1ct 2h Short St

(Carbrook)

Joseph FLEET Head Marr 53 general labourer OXF Kingston

Emily A FLEET Wife Marr 47 OXF Shubon?

James W FLEET Son 12 Carbrook

Hugh

Edited by HughW
typo

In 1911, May was still with the Nortcliffes, now at 237 Carbrook Street, and is described on the census return as a "confectionery out worker".

i amthe grandaughter of may fleet and would welcome any more information on the fleet family eg. joseph fleet and emily ann varnham my grandmother never told us about any of her family i only found out about it when i started researchin family histoy.

Neither Fleet nor Varnham are Yorkshire surnames, and Joseph and Emily Ann actually came from Oxfordshire. They are shown in the 1881 census at 3 ct 2 Bright Street (Carbrook, Sheffield) with children "Emily A." (she was actually Emily Harriet), 9, Clara, 5 and Eli(za) Ann, 2. Joseph's birthplace is given as Kingston and Emily Ann as Shirburn, both in Oxfordshire. Their oldest daughter Emily Harriet was born at Postcombe, Oxfordshire and the two younger ones in "Attercliffe".

Joseph and Emily Ann were married in the Thame, Oxfordshire district in April-June 1871. The "Kingston" referred to as Joseph's birthplace is the village of Kingston Blount (just south of Thame). Joseph turns up in the 1861 census as a 13 year-old living at Kingston Blount with his farm worker father George, mother Harriet and 5 siblings.

I have some information on a Joseph FLEET - who I think may be the same one mentioned here - on my website , I am too new to the forum to be allowed to post weblinks but a google search for 'Bowler Family History' should hopefully direct you to my family history site, then follow the links to the research page and select FLEET from the list of names.

Bob

Here is a link to the surname list on Bob's site.

bob123 thanks for getting in touch the information i am looking for is emily ann varnam father enos varnam and who was her mother. where did she originate from am researching family history.

I do not have any more info on Emily Ann VARNHAM, (only what is on my website) the census mentioned earlier suggests she was born in Shirburn Oxon, I checked the Parish Register transcript but there is no baptism listed for her there or at Aston Rowant where she married - perhaps the 1861 or 1871 census might give more of a clue to the family origins?

Most of the Fleet info I have is already on my website but can check if there is anything particular. You may also find some useful Oxfordshire links on my website (follow link to 'Links Page' from the home page - I am still 'too new' to post links here) such as Oxfordshire FHS they have very good 'search services' that may be able to help.

Good luck with your search!

Bob

bob123 thanks for getting in touch the information i am looking for is emily ann varnam father enos varnam and who was her mother. where did she originate from am researching family history.

Presumably because of this marriage:

GRO Marriages JUN Qtr 1912

FLEET May (spouse: GELDARD)

GELDARD Alfred (spouse: FLEET)

Sheffield 9c 853

There are four subsequent entries for children of this couple in the birth index.

Hugh

walker telecoms why are you asking about alfred geldard? are you a member of his family