Ranskill road tinsley

just wondered if anybody out there can remember my father william walter wistow who lived at 40 ranskill road till he got married in 1934,his mother and father herbert and amy wistow lived there till there deaths in 1945 and 1948 they had few children but not sure how many and i think they may have adopted??? a child called jack or john curtis who my dad called john willie egg cup.

I have sent you a PM, I presume that it is shorthand for a Private Message.

i have sent you a reply(i think anyway)to your pm thanks

My Mums family came off Ranskill Road. They were the Field's. Grandparents and parents with children all lived on their, George Edward and Lily, who went on to have Lily, Herbert, Charlie, Jessie and Jelico and went to live at Ranskill Road because they got work in the pit.. Most of the children named went on to marry have families, most of who also lived in Ranskill Road. Most of them stayed there until the houses were demolished at which they were all sent to different corners of Darnall or Attercliffe.

Anyone remeber the Buffeys. Mrs Buffey fell out of the bedroom window while cleaning the outside. She badly scared her face. Thelma was a driver for the Police

The Harpams - I used to go to Philimore Road School with one of them in the early 50s

What about the pigstyes behind Billy Mathers shop

And the night the Queens Train stopped overnight on the Bridge over Shepcote Lane. Hundreds went to see it

Anyone remeber where the ponds were at the topof Ranskill Road we were told a giant snake lived there to scare us from going

Also a young lad who drowned in the locks - don't know his name

Any one from Philimore Rd School - I had my sweets confiscated for eating them in class

Anyone rember Tory's fish shop - I used to take old newspapers and she would give me chips wrapped up in them

Anuone know the Crappers - used to live near them

I went to Philimore Road School in the late 40s as did my sister.

I don't know much about Ranskill Road but can remember playing around the old coke ovens and the slag heaps near Ranskill Road

My Mum and dad lived on Ranskill Road. My dads dad ( I never knew him ) apparently had a shop there. I also went to Phillimore Road School in the fifties and early 60's. Mr Arnold was my last teacher there

Anyone remeber the Buffeys. Mrs Buffey fell out of the bedroom window while cleaning the outside. She badly scared her face. Thelma was a driver for the Police

The Harpams - I used to go to Philimore Road School with one of them in the early 50s

What about the pigstyes behind Billy Mathers shop

And the night the Queens Train stopped overnight on the Bridge over Shepcote Lane. Hundreds went to see it

Anyone remeber where the ponds were at the topof Ranskill Road we were told a giant snake lived there to scare us from going

Also a young lad who drowned in the locks - don't know his name

Any one from Philimore Rd School - I had my sweets confiscated for eating them in class

Anyone rember Tory's fish shop - I used to take old newspapers and she would give me chips wrapped up in them

Anuone know the Crappers - used to live near them

eyup memoryman, was the harpham you went to school with male or female?dennis & barbara, ron & nora harpham have all passed away sadly, rons offspring were called billy, ron,stuart & denise, although ron senior sadly passed away several year ago his wife lilian is still in the same house on ferrars road with ron junior living a few doors up, billy has left ferrars road & now resides in lincolnshire, stuart is up tickhill/bawtry way & denise in bramley. Nora sadly passed away in 92 whilst also living on ferrars road. I think the harpham you may well have gone to school with was billy Edited by mh01

i found this site by accident...and its brought back a few memories....my aunt and uncle lived on ranskill road....walter and beattie barrett along with their 2 sons dennis and donald...when the houses were demolished they left to live in rotherham...

Hello Blossom

Spoke to my Mum Lily

She is not the Lily you know but a cousin and was named after her

She knew your family well as they lived in the next yard to my mum

hello memoryman....i only have a limited memory of ranskill road as i was only little when my aunt and uncle moved...a few names come to mind...wether they relate to ranskill road...i dont know..so i will run them by you to see if they ring any bells...."staffie" grice...freddie froggart...

just found this while doing research of an uncle who died in the 1st world war, his family lived at no39 ranskill road around 1914 to around 1918 their surname was carrington