HP laptop upgrade?

I have an old HP G60-214 EM laptop and it is very slow. Could I put in an SSD and if I could would this make any difference to the speed? Cheers in advance.

Edited by Kidorry
added a word.

You should be able to replace with an SSD, looking at the specs it's SATA so you'll want a 2.5" SATA SSD. Although it's an old laptop with an old CPU and not much memory so how much value it'll be is debatable. You can get very cheap new laptops these days depending on the budget and they might be a better long term investment.

But yes, an SSD should see it speed up boot up times etc. Just don't expect it to be able to do any processing etc any quicker :)

Thank you for that information and I think I will take your advice and look for a new one.Cheers.

SSD will make a massive difference, for 30quid it will be like a new machine speed wise. I've put SSD's in similar spec machines and for general use, office, internet, email etc they are like new machines. If that is all you do with it then I would say go for it!

I've put win10 on an SSD and upgraded various laptops for people. Stick an SSD in them, install win10 from SSD in about 15 minutes, activate it using the windows 7 key on the machine.

It seems this machine has Vista on it so even older than expected. a couple of threads about getting win10 on them on the net so it can be done.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

HP have not released drivers for its laptops purchased prior August 2013 (see link below)

I have an HP DV6 purchased 2010 with windows 7, I've tried the first W10 release (1503) and the latest release (1803)

alas, it will not install.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04730900

Kidorry - I tried this on an oldish laptop a few years ago (not a HP). It speeded it up a little but I wasn’t overly impressed with performance. It was a waste of money. It’s up to you but a new laptop would perhaps be the better option.

Or keep it as a spare and put something like SolydX Community Edition on it as it does not have PAE extensions like other GNU/Linux Disttributions.

Taster video here:

Current version is 9.

https://solydxk.com/downloads/community-editions/

Can't remember if LXLE is PAE enabled but that is another great distribution:

http://www.lxle.net/about/

Edited by swarfendor43