Do We Dress For Ourselves or The Opposite Sex?

Watching morning TV the other day and a Corrie actress was on talking about 'objectification' of actresses on the red carpet at award ceremonies.

Whilst her main complaint was around Paps taking upskirt shots, she also said that she'd had comments about how much flesh she had on show. Her argument to this was that she just wanted to look nice for the ceremony. The question is:

Who is she looking nice for? She says herself, but you can look nice without lots of cleavage and leg on show. Also, she could just walk past the photographers instead of posing, if she feels objectified.

Why does showing flesh coincide with looking nice if you're then going to complain that you're being looked at?

When i go out i like to look nice for my other half, and she likes to look nice for me. I think she looks classy as she wears very little make-up and shows practically no flesh whilst wearing nice clothes.

If a woman wears something revealing and someone looks, does she have the right to complain? If no one does look, what's the point in wearing something provocative?

Her other comments have been around she should be respected for her personality and skill-set, yet no one is causing a fuss about the objectification of Poldark actor Aidan Turner being splashed around in topless shots, even being written about by female journalists. Is this a double standard?

Re:Poldark, there has been some fuss about it, with the actor commenting that it's not a strip show.

To answer the title question, both I think. We like to look nice for ourselves, we also like to think that we are attractive to the opposite (or maybe same) sex, which is still ultimately for ourselves (it's validation to us of our attractiveness).

Nicola Rubinstein in the soap, hit out at photographers for trying to take pictures up the skirts and down the tops of women as they arrive on the red carpet.

And Nicola, 29, was riled when Piers suggested that her wearing an outfit that shows her cleavage may invite photographers to take those sort of pictures

Well, that sheds a bit more light doesn't it. PM is victim blaming and saying that it's okay to try to take photos down someones top if they're showing some cleavage. I can see why she didn't agree with that.

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 10:13 ----------

The main point she seemed to want to make though was that women are judged extensively on how they dress for these awards ceremonies, whilst men get a comment like "was wearing a suit" and that's it. Quite imbalanced.

Re:Poldark, there has been some fuss about it, with the actor commenting that it's not a strip show.

To answer the title question, both I think. We like to look nice for ourselves, we also like to think that we are attractive to the opposite (or maybe same) sex, which is still ultimately for ourselves (it's validation to us of our attractiveness).

Well, that sheds a bit more light doesn't it. PM is victim blaming and saying that it's okay to try to take photos down someones top if they're showing some cleavage. I can see why she didn't agree with that.

The main point she seemed to want to make though was that women are judged extensively on how they dress for these awards ceremonies, whilst men get a comment like "was wearing a suit" and that's it. Quite imbalanced.

(my bold)

I'm sure that women have worn a suit on the red carpet - and they have got the comment 'was wearing a suit'.

When women spend a lot of time and at the cost of thousands of pounds the media give it a proportionate response - its not rocket science.

You're sure of that are you?

You don't think that the suits the men wear on the red carpet also cost thousands?

Perhaps there is an argument that suits look very similar though, so there's not as much to say, but that doesn't justify photographers trying to take shots up skirts or down tops does it...

I'd have been thought, how a woman is dressed is irrelevant, it's not a green light to take saucy snaps. If the woman is actively inviting you to though, wants you to and is tacitly giving her permission, that's a different matter. Of course, you'll get problems if there is miscommunication, or something is misinterpreted as consent.

I don't know, all seems a bit trashy somehow.

Who is she looking nice for? She says herself, but you can look nice without lots of cleavage and leg on show. Also, she could just walk past the photographers instead of posing, if she feels objectified.

Our motives for the things we do are often subconscious, behaviour is often learnt in childhood.

I both dress for comfort and to please others.

Yeah I also dress for comfort ... and to make people slaves to my ravishingly good looks.

Well let’s see, Craghopper cargo shorts, Craghopper gilet, Craghopper top, all finished off with a pair of Keen sandles and no socks.

I don’t reckon that I’ll pull, but at least I’m nice and comfy. :hihi:

Well let’s see, Craghopper cargo shorts, Craghopper gilet, Craghopper top, all finished off with a pair of Keen sandles and no socks.

I don’t reckon that I’ll pull, but at least I’m nice and comfy. :hihi:

I have been told off before now, for wearing socks with sandals!

I wear socks with shoes, so it makes sense to wear them with other footwear.

But, PM also said he thought it was wrong to take down top/upskirt pics. By saying it possibly invites that reaction, i don't think he was advocating it. However, there are many female celebs who probably don't have a problem with it as it keeps them in the spot light.

And i suppose if an actor who is of a husky size decided to wear a mankini on the red carpet, something would be said about his attractiveness. Peter Stringfellow was often snapped in his thong without his knowledge and comments made. They showed a picture of PM with his gut out on a lounger, and will have received bodyshaming comments for it. It just appears to be that men on the red carpet only wear suits. Many actresses wear more conservative dresses at these things whilst still looking glam, and not getting talked about... it's almost as if they don't want to appear in the spotlight too much.

No woman ever put on a pair of 5" high heels 'for herself.'

They might look good to other people, but the bloody things are impracticle, cripple and maim for years to come. The moderm day equivalent of Chinese foot binding.

Mind you, they do come with a sense of empowerment, until you fall off them.