Where can I plant my conker trees?

As an 11 or 12 year old in the 1970s, Horse chestnut trees brought me lots of simple pleasure. No mobile phones back then, no Internet and only 3 channels on our black & white TV.

We used to walk to Barnbrough where these trees grew. I never forgot the pleasure and anticipation of walking the 4 miles or so on a mild sunny evening after school early in September.

These days I live where these trees grow only meters away. From September the area is showered with their shiny 'seeds'

Between us, the squirrels and me sow the conkers in the ground. One thing I have in common with the squirrels now is that our memories are on par with each other. Growing these trees is my way of giving something back.

So, each year I end up with these young conker trees. I am looking for more places to plant them, and it is getting increasingly difficult to identify suitable areas.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Edited by Janus

You really should be careful carrying your conkers about in public.

Cobnar Wood, Rivelin, Mayfield Valley, top end of Little Roe Wood and Limb Brook spring to mind but I'm not sure it would be legal. Maybe, maybe not.

So, each year I end up with these young conker trees. I am looking for more places to plant them, and it is getting increasingly difficult to identify suitable areas.

Can anyone help please?

In Sheffield, you should plant them anywhere, where the council will not chop them down :)

What a lovely idea. I was going to suggest my back garden I ran it past my husband and he vetoed it. :(

My sons planted one in a pot in our garden when they were younger . I’ve repotted it about 4 times now . My sons are now 37 ,34 and 29 so as you can guess it’s been growing a fair long time .Its a talking piece in our small garden .

As an 11 or 12 year old in the 1970s, Horse chestnut trees brought me lots of simple pleasure. No mobile phones back then, no Internet and only 3 channels on our black & white TV.

We used to walk to Barnbrough where these trees grew. I never forgot the pleasure and anticipation of walking the 4 miles or so on a mild sunny evening after school early in September.

These days I live where these trees grow only meters away. From September the area is showered with their shiny 'seeds'

Between us, the squirrels and me sow the conkers in the ground. One thing I have in common with the squirrels now is that our memories are on par with each other. Growing these trees is my way of giving something back.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

hello there, I have just donated some oak trees and birch trees that grew from self sets in my garden. if you email Tim.Shortland@sheffield .gov I am sure he would be happy to help you.

What a lovely idea. I was going to suggest my back garden I ran it past my husband and he vetoed it. :(

Very wise of him.They grow high and wide.

Our house insurer asked if we have a tree (I forget the hight) within 30 feet of the house.

Very wise of him.They grow high and wide.

Our house insurer asked if we have a tree (I forget the hight) within 30 feet of the house.

I plant trees in any place I think they wont get cut down, in public land; the worst that can happen is they get cut down, tree seeds get deposited anywhere.

hello there, I have just donated some oak trees and birch trees that grew from self sets in my garden. if you email Tim.Shortland@sheffield .gov I am sure he would be happy to help you.