Firwood Cottage, Reopening as The Blind Monkey

And many of us are wine drinkers or would favour a nice G&T. Not everyone likes beer.

Amazing how often nice places offer really poor wine though. Gin tends to be more chance of getting a decent one (tho that`s not my tipple).

Good to hear about the BM and I shall visit at some stage but the beer doesn`t sound up my street tbh. Sometimes new places start with a basic range and gradually offer more adventurous stuff to see how the punters respond. However, Guzzle on Woodseats seems to just have kept things pretty basic.

That's good, I'm glad you enjoyed it (and I don't mean that as patronisingly as it looks in text!). I don't think the place is in any way bad. I'm just not on board with your comment a few posts back that seems to suggest one should support a pub just because it's a pub, no matter what it serves, or that if one is primarily concerned with what one is drinking one should drink bottles at home but also be blamed for pub closures... Like I say, I spend a lot of time and money in pubs, but while I'd be gutted if the pubs I frequent closed I feel no obligation to support a pub that doesn't offer me what I want

I’m glad some of the posters on here won’t be going back. What a lot of middle class pretentious crap! Bugger off back to the Blake and leave local pubs to locals. Some of us are happy with a pint of lager. How common eh?

---------- Post added 30-04-2018 at 15:01 ----------

Went today. The beer selction was poor, I suspect because they'd sold out of a couple of lines due to the massive demand over the weekend. I had Moonshine. It was well conditioned and I'm not averse to a pint of it, but it is ubiquitous. There was music....it meant we had to shout to have a conversation. The toilets are great and clean. There is a corridor bit between the fron door and the bar...why, it just gets clogged up with people stood in the way....get out of the way!!.

All in all, not bad, I'd happily include it on a Walkley crawl but I wouldn't stay in for more than one.

I’m glad they have music, (which wasn’t loud) as it covers up some of the prentious hipster crap that’s spouted in real ape pubs.

As it happens, we loved the place and were really pleased to see they had kept the old Firwood Cottage sign. We were regulars at the Firwood and will be regulars at the BM

---------- Post added 30-04-2018 at 15:02 ----------

Well it’s up to you.

The pub is lovely inside and outside - I had a couple of pints that I enjoyed -there was a great atmosphere in the place aswell.

Had a great night.

Your loss.

We loved it too!

---------- Post added 30-04-2018 at 15:03 ----------

I popped in this evening and struggled to find a beer I would really enjoy. Had a quick pint and then retired to The Blake which has a superior choice of quality beverages. It was so loud in the BM too, not even that busy but the dB per person was just a bit too much for my ear drums... Good luck to.the place, I really hope it does well...

See you :wave::wave::wave:

Edited by gnomi

I’m glad some of the posters on here won’t be going back. What a lot of middle class pretentious crap! Bugger off back to the Blake and leave local pubs to locals. Some of us are happy with a pint of lager. How common eh?

well done on totally missing the point. Nobody said there was anything wrong with drinking lager or whatever else you happen to like. But some of us don't. I don't think it's particularly 'middle class' to prefer something more flavoursome. It's not even about affordability, I drink a lot of cask beer which generally costs me similar or less than the prices listed above. It's literally about personal taste, I don't think that really makes one pretentious.

point of order, Camden aren't craft - they're owned by AB-Inbred or whatever they're called now (and they were ****e before that anyway)

While I agree with you about Camden, and the general sale of small craft breweries to GlobalMegaHyperCorp, it doesn't always mean that they don't retain their craft arm.

Goose Island was sold to AB-InBred too (love that BTW) yet still manage to produce thir excellent Matilda and Sofie beers, plus Bourbon Country Brand Stout (including one now aged in 30yr old Heaven Hill barrels that they simply weren't able to afford before). Similarly Founders, who sold a chunk of shares to Nahou-San Siguel and Brewdog who are almost 50% Pabst, still manage to poice the like of KBS and DogG for example.

---------- Post added 10-05-2018 at 12:15 ----------

Why does it amaze you? There's nothing on that list I'd want to drink. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, they're all just too middle of the road for me. I don't need to stay at home to find decent beer, there's plenty of pubs that get through shedloads of beer (and rum) I do like. So much so that I feel no need to go in a pub with nothing interesting, however nice the pub itself may be

Completely agree with this though. I've had the same argument with my nephew who thinks I'm a beer snob as I don't want to go out to any old pub when he visits. Yet he won't go to a curry restaurant and pay £20 for a meal as he doesn't like it. So why should i go out for a night and drink £20 of cr@p I don't like?

I am planning to visit this plave over the next couple of weeks though - simply because I don;t usually like dissing a place before I've been in it. Plenty of time to do that after :)

Edited by DnAuK

Guest makapaka
While I agree with you about Camden, and the general sale of small craft breweries to GlobalMegaHyperCorp, it doesn't always mean that they don't retain their craft arm.

Goose Island was sold to AB-InBred too (love that BTW) yet still manage to produce thir excellent Matilda and Sofie beers, plus Bourbon Country Brand Stout (including one now aged in 30yr old Heaven Hill barrels that they simply weren't able to afford before). Similarly Founders, who sold a chunk of shares to Nahou-San Siguel and Brewdog who are almost 50% Pabst, still manage to poice the like of KBS and DogG for example.

---------- Post added 10-05-2018 at 12:15 ----------

Completely agree with this though. I've had the same argument with my nephew who thinks I'm a beer snob as I don't want to go out to any old pub when he visits. Yet he won't go to a curry restaurant and pay £20 for a meal as he doesn't like it. So why should i go out for a night and drink £20 of cr@p I don't like?

I am planning to visit this plave over the next couple of weeks though - simply because I don;t usually like dissing a place before I've been in it. Plenty of time to do that after :)

Your last sentence pretty much reinforces the exact argument you are trying to counter.

Why don't you just save time and ring the pub up and ask what beer they have? If they don't sell the one you like don't go.

I made my first visit to the Blind Monkey yesterday. I can see why the R.A.T. types do not like it because it is first and foremost a pub and not a craft ale or artisan cider bar focussed on keeping the soi-disant cognoscenti happy. I had a perfectly pleasant Don Valley stout and sat in a nice beer garden in the sunshine for half an hour - that is enought to keep me happy.

Went in last night,nice little pub and busy as was the little beer shop on South Rd,these kind of places seem to be doing well.

Your last sentence pretty much reinforces the exact argument you are trying to counter.

Why don't you just save time and ring the pub up and ask what beer they have? If they don't sell the one you like don't go.

Good idea! You've just saved me a trip! ;)

Actually not really tho cos it's part of a pub crawl. I can cope with one or two ropey beers along the way as long as I know there is something better at the end. Just a pity the Hallmshire will be a starting point rather than finishing as unfortunately, in that area, this is far from certain.