Wadsley village

A few names i know on that list...

stour lane 9, 11,13 , 15 my dad, 17, 19 my grandad 21, 63 & 65

I can remember also fred hursts barbershop when it was next to the star pub, b4 he moved onto the shops (on at t'pond)....im presuming there was once a pond near wisewood school and gowers etc.

was 9 Vic Harrison the cobblers shop who always had a whippet dog,

Thanks for the memories

I used to go to Freds at dinner time from Loxley School,some names I remember from Wadsley George Horsefield,Dereck Bower,Pete Bircenough,Terry Dooley,saw Terry yesterday,I have some old pictures of Wadsley Village.

My Dad James Talbott was born in Wadsley in 1921 to George and Edith Talbott he has two sisters Edith and Florence and My Nans maiden name was Bradshaw she was also born in Wadsley. My Grandad was a shot firer / miner on Wadsley Common I think in the Ginster mine I believe he was Wadsley born as well. My Dads friends were Bill and Kate Parkin nee Firth and when they married they lived in Luke Lane when my uncle Bill died Aunt Kate still went for her daily drink in the top House. I know my Dad had an Aunt Rosila who has quite a few children and they had lots of off spring so I think I still have relations in the Wadsley area. We used to holiday in Aunt Kate’s house when she was on holiday.

MA....I knew Bill n Kate quite well from me being a nipper, to growing up and playing snooker in the Dial House with Bill n his 'young upstart' a very good player called George Quibell, at the time i was around 20 and Bill retired with GQ aged something inbetween. Saw Kate a few times in top house after Bill died, always chatty.

I also remember Brian firth and family and went through school with there kids, they lived opp Birchinuff (spelling) farm....great memories

---------- Post added 09-01-2018 at 20:25 ----------

I used to go to Freds at dinner time from Loxley School,some names I remember from Wadsley George Horsefield,Dereck Bower,Pete Bircenough,Terry Dooley,saw Terry yesterday,I have some old pictures of Wadsley Village.

Geo Horsfield...big bloke with a black beard?

Pete Bircenough @ the farm

Sure i played snooker with a Terry Dooley in Queens Ground in 80's

Must`ve missed early threads....I, too, used to pop into the Luke Lane sweet shop..I remember the names, Nellie, Feebie and Mandy..they went to live near bottom of Dykes Hall Road.

I also recall the Maccabbi pitch - I was there ( 1965?) when Mike and Bernie winters did the opening ceremony...we used to play up there on Sundays - the ball forever being hooted down the rocks!!

Names I recall included the Samworths, Bob Grimes, Malcolm Dixon, Triggs , Schofield , Dyson and others - there even used to be a changing room further up the Common...possibly 6 pitches in all.....

Can anyone out there remember the name of the passageway opposite Betney`s ??....also Allison`s bakery down the gennel..!!

I remember old Wadsley village very well .My grandparents lived on Rydalhurst Avenue as did other family members as those houses were built by an Uncle . My life began on Rural lane . I also went to Wisewood school late 60s and remember Conroys , a little old shop that sold needles and cotton next to the school , and our little puppy came from Birchenoughs farm .Any one remember Gwennie Green ? She was a character in an afternoon after a session in the pub !!

... Any one remember Gwennie Green ? She was a character in an afternoon after a session in the pub !!
I didn't know Gwennie Green but in the 1980s I bought her bungalow at the bottom of the avenue - from what you tell us I wish I'd known her!.:)

That's interesting Hillsboro , yes her bungalow was at the bottom of Rydalhurst. As schoolchildren we were used to her wobbling down the hill from the pub .A very pleasant and friendly lady who clearly had a problem with alcohol. I always remember her bright red lipstick!!

My Dad mentioned friends from his childhood other than Aunt Kate one being ****e Horsfield (yes he always called him that) and the Birchenoughs, when we stayed at Aunt Kate’s house in Rural Lane he used to take us to the farm to get milk, a most wonderful taste when you think I was brought up in the middle of London. Dad and friends used to go rabbiting on the common and take them home to the Mums of the village.i loved visiting Wadsley as it was sooooooo different from built up London x

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 14:29 ----------

By the way this was for slip about James Talbott x

Must`ve missed early threads....I, too, used to pop into the Luke Lane sweet shop..I remember the names, Nellie, Feebie and Mandy..they went to live near bottom of Dykes Hall Road.

I also recall the Maccabbi pitch - I was there ( 1965?) when Mike and Bernie winters did the opening ceremony...we used to play up there on Sundays - the ball forever being hooted down the rocks!!

Names I recall included the Samworths, Bob Grimes, Malcolm Dixon, Triggs , Schofield , Dyson and others - there even used to be a changing room further up the Common...possibly 6 pitches in all.....

Can anyone out there remember the name of the passageway opposite Betney`s ??....also Allison`s bakery down the gennel..!!

Hi - I am one of the Trigg family - sister (with Jennifer) of Andy and Norman. Andy lives at Worrall now and Norman in Midlands - both were keen football players. We all went to Wisewood Primary - names I remember are Mr Greatorex, Miss Bates (headmistress), Mrs Scrimshaw (scary dinner-lady) and Miss Starling who I had a bit of a crush on! Remember Gissing family from Wadsley Park Crescent, Birchenough Farm and Audoires. Pity we all lost touch with each other after 11+ split us all up. My best friend was Janice Kangley who lived on Luke Lane. Remember bakery shop on Luke Lane and cobblers at bottom of gennel near there. Also used to play with someone who lived in the big Sea Cadet building but can't remember her name.

Hi there ..was your brother Andrew Trigg ? Went to Wisewood secondary ? If so , we were in the same class at one point . My grannie lived on Wadsley park Crescent and I knew the Audoires very well. Angela was a friend of mine for a few years . I remember the Gissings but didn't know them well . Janice Kangleys name rings a bell . I moved away from the area but I keep in touch with a couple of friends from Wisewood secondary and one of them has occasional contact with Angela Audoire . Which secondary/ grammar school did you go to ??

Hi there ..was your brother Andrew Trigg ? Went to Wisewood secondary ? If so , we were in the same class at one point . My grannie lived on Wadsley park Crescent and I knew the Audoires very well. Angela was a friend of mine for a few years . I remember the Gissings but didn't know them well . Janice Kangleys name rings a bell . I moved away from the area but I keep in touch with a couple of friends from Wisewood secondary and one of them has occasional contact with Angela Audoire . Which secondary/ grammar school did you go to ??

Yes my brother's Andy! He had a reputation for being a little monkey! (Still has actually!) He went to Wisewood Secondary. I went to High Storrs. What was your surname?

I was recently browsing Sheffield Forum and was very interested in the mention of a cobbler who had a small workshop in the village. His name was Ibbotson (not Harrison) and he was my uncle on my mother's side.

I myself attended Wisewood Secondary School and I would be very interested to have a chat with anyone who may have any connection with the Ibbotson family. They had a cottage on Stour Lane which was demolished years ago.

My maiden name was Hutton (Maureen).

---------- Post added 13-08-2018 at 22:39 ----------

Yes my brother's Andy! He had a reputation for being a little monkey! (Still has actually!) He went to Wisewood Secondary. I went to High Storrs. What was your surname?

When did your brother attend Wisewood Secondary - I was there i n the 50's

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 20:10 ----------

I can't trace my original reply to your post as I am new to this, but here goes.

My mother's family lived on Stour Lane in the old Wadsley village. The family name was Ibbotson and my uncle Vic had the cobblers workshop. I often used to spend time there in the pretence that I was helping, but it was fascinating to watch and listen to the tall tales he used to tell with visiting customers, it was more like a Social club - he was such a character. Elsie Ibbotson was my mother. I am the youngest of two sisters (Maureen Hutton) my father was Alexander, he worked for Sheffield Transport Department tram driving during the second World War and thereafter.

If there is anyone out there with a connection I would love to hear from you should this attempt be successful.