Anorexia caused by narcissism - Agree?

The point is many of these mental issues are self inflicted, because the people affected have the luxury of living in the UK and are immune to the very real problems less fortunate people living in other areas of the World suffer. If a teenage UK anorexia sufferer traded places with a teenage Bangladesh sweatshop worker, then their anorexia issues would soon vanish.

Or perhaps their anorexia would become something else like cutting themselves or allowing themselves to be sexually abused. As has been pointed out anorexia isn't about food, it's about control. It's logical that Africa won't have much anorexia as they don't have food to begin with so there's no added control that can be gained. However, if you look a little wider, you will see that obesity is a growing issue in richer African nations which is being seen as 'African anorexia', i.e. they aren't getting fat because they have a bad diet or don't exercise, they are getting fat because they have a mental condition that makes them crave food permanently. So send that anorexia sufferer to Africa and they'd quite likely develop the exact opposite condition and you'd still not have cured them of the underlying issue.

So perhaps we need to look at girls in particular suffer from eating disorders more than boys - lack of control given to girls? I don't know.

And also why do so many men commit suicide compared to women?

Common sense logic.......

..... is clearly not something you have much personal experience of.

The point is many of these mental issues are self inflicted, because the people affected have the luxury of living in the UK and are immune to the very real problems less fortunate people living in other areas of the World suffer. If a teenage UK anorexia sufferer traded places with a teenage Bangladesh sweatshop worker, then their anorexia issues would soon vanish.

Have you thought about taking your show nationwide? :hihi:

I hear Katie Hopkins is looking for new material.

I hear Katie Hopkins is looking for new material.

I don't think that even Katie Hopkins would be comfortable taking such an extreme point of view.

Or perhaps their anorexia would become something else like cutting themselves or allowing themselves to be sexually abused. As has been pointed out anorexia isn't about food, it's about control. It's logical that Africa won't have much anorexia as they don't have food to begin with so there's no added control that can be gained. However, if you look a little wider, you will see that obesity is a growing issue in richer African nations which is being seen as 'African anorexia', i.e. they aren't getting fat because they have a bad diet or don't exercise, they are getting fat because they have a mental condition that makes them crave food permanently. So send that anorexia sufferer to Africa and they'd quite likely develop the exact opposite condition and you'd still not have cured them of the underlying issue.

Your comment about obesity being a growing problem in wealthier African Nations, adds weight to my reasoning that as Countries become richer, then mental health issues of the population increases. There was similar reasoning behind Joan Bakewell's comments which your thread is about.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 11:09 ----------

No plans, it's more likely I will become a Shepherd and move to Wales. :)

Your comment about obesity being a growing problem in wealthier African Nations, adds weight to my reasoning that as Countries become richer, then mental health issues of the population increases. There was similar reasoning behind Joan Bakewell's comments which your thread is about.

Yes that was her point, but you've mistaken her saying is society is screwed to meaning lets blame victims of illnesses and that was absolutely not what she was saying.

Yes that was her point, but you've mistaken her saying is society is screwed to meaning lets blame victims of illnesses and that was absolutely not what she was saying.

I am blaming our own society for creating problems such as anorexia. Sometimes people have to make more effort to help themselves and should have a half full glass outlook on life, and make the best of the good cards they have been dealt.

Perhaps you should have a listen to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0735q92

From Radio four today, and then get back to us.

If you can listen to that without changing your opinion then I suspect you might have a mental health issue yourself, sociopathy perhaps, or something else that causes you to lack empathy.

Perhaps you should have a listen to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0735q92

From Radio four today, and then get back to us.

If you can listen to that without changing your opinion then I suspect you might have a mental health issue yourself, sociopathy perhaps, or something else that causes you to lack empathy.

Your inability to look at problems from another angle demonstrates your ignorance of rational thought thinking in the real World.

The question the OP asked is.......

Anorexia caused by narcissism - Agree?

I agree that narcissism could be a contributing factor for someone to have issues with anorexia. A cause of narcissism can be selfishness, which is the reasoning for most of the views I have made. You assume I have a lack of empathy and your amateur diagnosis is that I may have mental issues. Thank you, for adding more weight to my theory that both professional so called experts and non experts over think about mental issues.

I am blaming our own society for creating problems such as anorexia. Sometimes people have to make more effort to help themselves and should have a half full glass outlook on life, and make the best of the good cards they have been dealt.

Being of sound mental health isn't a state of mind you can simply enter by deciding to think positively, it's achieved through daily exercise, sort of a strategic routine similar to improving your physical well being. Even you can appreciate that you can't become fit from one visit to the gym, it takes time, but all too often things come along that crunch your desire and motivation and before you know it you're back to square one. Our mental health is no different, it's just a bit more prone to strains.

Fair enough. Let's look at this then:

To use your analogy, what if you are dealt a hand with one or more bad cards? Just get on with it? (how big is the hand of cards btw?)

In this way your analogy holds some credibility, we ALL have to get on with the hand we're dealt.

For me, that's where the analogy ends though, because your argument assumes that because we are born into somewhere where life is relatively simple (like here) - i.e. ample food / health / care / shelter, that in turn means all the cards in our [western] card-hands are all good cards. That's quite obviously not correct, and isn't in ANY society.