10 Reasons The Uk is Better To Live In Than Australia

I work for an Australian company, and from time to time we have aussies coming over here to work...the question we always ask them (especially in the depths of winter) is WHY?

We've struggled to come up with 10 reasons...can you add to them at all

1. The ability to travel through continental Europe

2. Curry

3. The price of bananas

4. Our music scene

5. The ability of eat any product at any time of the year (although it goes off quicker)

6. Salmon

7. The currency

8. Beer

erm...

9. soaps that are better than home and away

10. sheffield!!!!

Actually, I heard about lots of people who emigrated to Austrailia and came back eventually, because the country is so out of society, that there is little opportunity to see any modern rock/pop bands unless they are on the last leg of an enormous multi year world tour and completely frazzled. They are the last place in the world to get any new gadgets. Fashions are several years behind what you could find in UK, and they generally feel totally cut off.

The government and society is so interfering and nanny state that they keep trying to do things like ban Motorcycles, and they are very big on neighbourhood watch, it is like going back 50 years.

that there is little opportunity to see any modern rock/pop bands unless they are on the last leg of an enormous multi year world tour and completely frazzled. .

Isn't that covered in No.4?

I think you should meet a few Sheffielders who live in my area and who have visited the UK many times and you would find that they wouldn't return to live in the UK for quids and I could give you more than 10 reasons why.

11. There aren't many Australians here. ;)

I think you should meet a few Sheffielders who live in my area and who have visited the UK many times and you would find that they wouldn't return to live in the UK for quids and I could give you more than 10 reasons why.

Can you rephrase that?

What is quids? :thumbsup:

11. The Peak District

12. The Chunnel tunnel

13. People will chat spontaneously - and like a good laugh.

14. The gardens especially in Spring.

15. The Sunday markets in the country.

16. The history, even if it gets a bit gory, it belongs to us.

Very tongue in cheek:-

No sunburn

No Sun

No whingeing Poms

No surfers

No aussie tourists

No minor Royalty

No beautiful beaches

No crocodiles

No sharks ( except pollies)

No tax free TV

I would move to Australia in a shot :)

me too- i have been and had a the best holiday ever

Actually, I heard about lots of people who emigrated to Austrailia and came back eventually, because the country is so out of society, that there is little opportunity to see any modern rock/pop bands unless they are on the last leg of an enormous multi year world tour and completely frazzled. They are the last place in the world to get any new gadgets. Fashions are several years behind what you could find in UK, and they generally feel totally cut off.

The government and society is so interfering and nanny state that they keep trying to do things like ban Motorcycles, and they are very big on neighbourhood watch, it is like going back 50 years.

Biggest load of tripe that I have ever heard, in the 70's yes, you would have been right, but not today, a lot of people did return to the UK, but a lot also came back here, as for the bands, I know from personal experience that they get frazzled from their off stage adventures with the opposite sex rather than performing & travelling.

The bit about motorbikes is a load of Boll###s too, all my family & a few old mates have been out here on holidays & wish they had come with us in 1970 now, I see many pommies here on holidays and they love the place & don't want to go home.

I returned to Sheffield in 1990 & couldn't get back here quick enough, this was the best 10 quid I ever spent.

Lived in Melbourne for 40 years - didn't have a say -parents choice! Recently returned from a 6 week visit to UK and other parts of Europe.

Have to stay here now for family commitments but want to return to UK in the future - not only to be close to remaining family but because:

- closer to the rest of the world - it costs so much in money and time to travel to Europe. The only place you can go for a weekend is within Australia and seen one country town ... well ....!

- really worried about global warming and availability of water. Even though this is affecting/will affect the whole world - we are facing the consequences already - severe water restrictions, dams only 47% of capacity, 40 degree © plus days, major bush fires burning out of control for over a month.

Biggest worry is how far the Aussie dollar will stretch in the UK - we have fallen way behind in international purchasing power - what we have here for quality of life/cost of living/accommodation is far superior to the UK

Decisons, decisions....!