Long commutes to work.

Do you travel a long way to work, or do work with someone who does?

I know a girl in Birley who works in Nottingham city centre.

I used to commute to L**ds when I was just starting my career a couple of decades ago.

I think back about it and wow, I must have keen / desperate.

I now have a ten minute commute (on a good day) and even that's too much some days.

I used to commute from Sheffield to Harrogate daily!

I commuted to Germany for 6 months, 0400 Mon morning out of the house, 2200 Thu return, Fri "work" from home. Was kinda fun, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

I've also worked for several years in Birmingham, I stayed every other night in a hotel, but again, not that fun.

On a daily basis I've done Derby, Nottingham and Leeds, not ideal you spend at least 2 hrs a day in the car.

For the past several years though I've managed to find contracts in the city centre, so my commute is generally 15 - 20 mins long and gets me some exercise as a bonus.

A short commute has to be one of the best things you can do to improve work/life balance.

I used to work out of Felixstowe ,set off on Monday morning around 2am got back home around 2200 Friday night

I worked in Felixstowe for about 3 months, the maritime something or other agency.

I worked in Felixstowe for about 3 months, the maritime something or other agency.

I used to work for a company that sub contracted to Carters on sub station road ,don't miss that place or the commute ,it's even worse now as road works on a14 until Dec 2020

Did Portsmouth there and back for a week a few years back. Wouldn't do it again.

I've done Sheffield to Leeds daily for 2 years, Sheffield to Salford daily for 2 years,Sheffield to Derby for a year.

That was in the early career days when you had to report to an office before starting your day on the road as a travelling salesman and then report back at the end of every day.

I now work from home which can mean daily commutes to Telford,Pwelhei,Kettering and everywhere in between.

I live in Carlisle and used to commute daily to Seaton Delaval (about 65 miles) for almost 2 years. After leaving that temporary job which included some shiftwork I vowed never to do it again but a few years later I travelled daily to Cramlington (also about 65 miles) for 6 months :loopy:

My husband commuted daily by train from Carlisle to Preston for 5 years, giving up a month ago.

I used to commute London Colney to Heathrow, 35 miles each way on the M25. Petrol was cheaper in 1997. I certainly would not do that now.

My current job is 2.3 miles from where I live and I cycle (when the weather is OK). Takes 10 minutes each way.

I can't even stand the 10 mile commute along the M1 to Meadowhall now, where I spent the last 11 years working.

I did ten years Sheffield to Huddersfield. Seemed like there were at least one set of roadworks, with poorly timed lights to boot, on the A629 every single day. I've now improved my lot and spent the last 7 years commuting Sheffield to Bradford.