Where does Southern England start & North South Divide?

Seems it still exists.. the North is worse off than ever, where as Scotland is less worse since the years after Devolution ...anyway..

Research has shown that a staggering 1.2 million more people have died before the age of 75 in the North than in south England since the 1960s.

In the 1960s, people aged 35-44 in the North were only 3% more likely to die than those in the south - today that gap has grown to an astonishing 49%. Similarly the 24-34 age group saw people in the North only 2% more likely to die in the 1960s against a 29% gap today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/northern-people-dying-southern-divide-north-south-health-death-england-a7881551.html

North-south health divide more stark than ever as study finds 'alarming' rise in northern people dying prematurely

Edited by WestTinsley

I just love the way politicians keep telling us 'we're all living longer...'

No we're not. Some of us are living longer, and some of us (generally the poorest,) aren't.

Part of this has to be the legacy of heavy industry. People dying in the 60s would have spent their lives in largely similar environments with homes burning coal for heating and the air pollution that caused, therefore the effects on mortality were broadly similar. A lot of the UK didn't switch to gas heating until 1967. When that happened the less industrialised South received an improvement in air quality while the still heavily industrialised North was still pumping out a lot of pollutants into the air, plus we still had the coal mines (the cause of lung disease in a lot of the generations who worked in them including my Grandad).

Even back in the late 80s/early 90s Sheffield was grimey with the pollution from the steel industry and other things. I remember waiting for a bus next to the Hole In The Road at a filthy bus-stop and feeling like I was being gassed by the dirty exhausts of the many buses passing by.

Obviously that's just one factor but I suspect it's a biggie.

I just love the way politicians keep telling us 'we're all living longer...'

No we're not. Some of us are living longer, and some of us (generally the poorest,) aren't.

'We' are definitely living longer.

they can keep there London ect,stay in Yorkshire were the air is better,the people are nicer and forget the southern rat race.

billions for the new crossrail but they wont even elecrtrify our aging diesel trains.

In your opinion, where does the South of England start?

To me, it's the area south of (and including) Tewkesbury, Banbury, Milton Keynes, Bedford, Saffron Walden, and Ipswich.

Please let's not have any "south of Meadowhead roundabout" comments.

Watford Gap motorway services on the M1

Watford Gap motorway services on the M1

OK, interesting. Do you class as the area north of that as Northern England, or do you recognise the Midlands?

Travelling down the M1 you enter the South East, which starts officially just north of Milton Keynes when you pass that sign that says "Buckinghamshire".

In your opinion, where does the South of England start?

I would say south of Nottingham meself.

Please let's not have any "south of Meadowhead roundabout" comments.

sorry :blush:

I would say south of Nottingham meself.

sorry :blush:

nice to see you back joker. missed your words of wisdom. :hihi:

If you want to know where the south starts you have to know where the north starts as a point of reference?