Recommendations for new television!

Haven't bought a new television for years and foxed by technology. We have decided to cancel our Sky subscription and wondered if anyone can recommend a television with as much as possible included? And is John Lewis the best place to shop?

Richer sounds ....most of the TVs come with a free 6 year warranty

Costco online toshiba hd ready 32" smart to £189.99. Think they give a 5yr warranty. Tesco not bad for TVs as well.

My son bought a HiSense from Richer sounds.

He has been very happy with it.

4K , 50 inch. Operating software very rapid and has built in netflix , amazon etc

The newer models have full HDR too - £ 599

https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/hisense/50n6800/hise-50n6800

I'm in exactly the same situation, Golden Oldie, and am just about to take the plunge like you.

I've done a fair bit of research, but as there are TVs of all sizes and specifications (and abilities), ranging from around £200 to well in excess of £15k (yes, really), the first main questions to help you are, what size and what's your budget?

I'm replacing our 7 year old main TV, which was misbehaving before we went on hols (HDMI inputs & networking not working) and has inexplicably cracked (screen shatter) during our absence. Until I've found time to go and see them 'in the flesh' tomorrow or at the weekend, so far I'm going for either an LG OLED55B6V (if I can find one) or a Samsung UE55M8000 or a Sony KD55XE9005. Would love an LG OLED55B7V, but over £2k is just too rich.

I'll second RicherSounds for the place to buy (will be getting ours from them), and they price-match, including online.

What HiFi and AV Forums reviews and ratings are usually very good places to start.

Edited by L00b

I also recommend Richer Sounds. With them you can always get to see a working TV to see if its right for you, if not they will set one up for you. As others have said the 6 year guarantee is a bonus as well.

John Lewis do have some good deals and usually their electrical carry a good warranty. Richer Sounds (As stated) also have good deals and warranty.

As for which TV. This will always be a can of worms as people always seem to have their favourites. I tend to go for LG as they have been very good. My new'ish main TV a a 60" LG 4k with SAT and Ariel inputs, Smart functions like netflix, iPlayer etc. And you just plug a hard drive in to turn it into a recorder. A bit expensive at just under a grand. The Hisense ones come in cheaper and seem to get good reviews (never owned one)

Get a 5 year warranty on whatever you go for.

At the weekend got one of these from Richer Sounds:

https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/tx40es500b/pana-tx40es500b

Here is what I have discovered about it so far.

Straight foward to setup, wirelessly connected to my BT HH3 router.

The speakers are poor, so I used a soundbar.

I don't watch the TV much, listen to the radio usually radio-4 or radio-4 extra. There is a screen off

setting when listening to the radio, however it does not blank when radio-4 extra is selected.

Connects to BBC Iplayer.

Only watched a few YouTube video, using the remote control to enter and select YouTube content is hard work.

can't see the remote control buttons lasting too long if you are an internet content fan.

Can navigate to shared folders on my Win-7 machine, however it fails to show all video or mp3 files.

It has two USB ports. Drives formatted as Fat32 or NTFS appear to be recognised.

Get a samsung post 2015 smart tv... you can get them at 81cm size even (32inch) for 250 ish. Any problems samsung repair it at home even replacing motherboard in 10 mins if need be..

I got an LG from John Lewis, very good quality picture and full smart function with HD, also a five year warranty. Only thing that is a bit annoying is that the TV guide takes a while to load, other than that the TV is great. I thought about buying a soundbar but have no problem with the quality of the sound so didn't bother with one.

Edited by iansheff

At the weekend got one of these from Richer Sounds:

https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/tx40es500b/pana-tx40es500b

Here is what I have discovered about it so far.

Straight foward to setup, wirelessly connected to my BT HH3 router.

The speakers are poor, so I used a soundbar.

I don't watch the TV much, listen to the radio usually radio-4 or radio-4 extra. There is a screen off

setting when listening to the radio, however it does not blank when radio-4 extra is selected.

Connects to BBC Iplayer.

Only watched a few YouTube video, using the remote control to enter and select YouTube content is hard work.

can't see the remote control buttons lasting too long if you are an internet content fan.

Can navigate to shared folders on my Win-7 machine, however it fails to show all video or mp3 files.

It has two USB ports. Drives formatted as Fat32 or NTFS appear to be recognised.

My bold. I just play Youtube videos from my phone, there is an option to send it to TV within the Youtube app. It's a lot easier.

You can also play Youtube videos on your TV from your laptop or PC.

Make sure you talk through the warranties and cover with Richer Sounds staff, I know of a couple of people who had the wool pulled over their eyes regarding their refundable warranties, they refund on the 6 year plan but told a couple of people I know that their 5 year warranties were refundable, turned out it was bull.