Wednesday hit with Swine Flu??

AN UNIDENTIFIED virus is sweeping through Sheffield Wednesday, the club said today.

The Championship side has notified the Football League of the illness which is afflicting "several members" of Brian Laws' squad prior to Saturday's game against Bristol City.

Fans will be hoping it is not swine flu - and that is not a condition The Owls have mentioned.

The Owls though admit they will now be travelling to Ashton Gate with a squad significantly weakened by the withdrawal of key players.

In addition, two more players are showing symptoms of the virus, leaving manager Laws with a selection headache for the City clash.

He said: "Several players are already affected and two more appear to be carrying the symptoms of the virus. We have notified the Football League of the situation as a matter of course and will continue to provide any further necessary updates.

"I can assure our supporters and the authorities that we have taken every precaution possible to prevent the virus spreading, including booking the players into separate rooms at our hotel for the Bristol City match."

Laws has drafted in and allocated shirt numbers to Owls youngsters Nick Wood (21), Max Wragg (26), Callum Harrison (27) and Nathan Modest (28) ahead of the Ashton Gate game.

*Meanwhile Ipswich boss Roy Keane set to make bid for Wednesday defender Richard Wood.

*Blackburn striker Jason Roberts has become the Premier League's club latest star to suffer from suspected swine flu.

Roberts is unlikely to be available for Rovers' clash at Manchester United on Saturday after showing symptoms of the virus, which had already been contracted by team-mates David Dunn and Christopher Samba, as well as boss Sam Allardyce.

No no no no no...I realise this could be serious but, did it HAVE to be swine flu? :roll:

No no no no no...I realise this could be serious but, did it HAVE to be swine flu? :roll:

I think weve already gone over the jokes on here 20 times over, i can't believe it may be coming reality though crazy times.

Is this a wind up………………I am waiting for the punch line.

Is this a wind up………………I am waiting for the punch line.

Me no lie :|

I think weve already gone over the jokes on here 20 times over, i can't believe it may be coming reality though crazy times.

It wont stop certain blades posters from taking the mick, if it was the other way round we might just have the odd pop, we await CB. ;)

Can it get much worst for Wednesday, they were already staring down the barrell tommorow, so i fear the worst even more now.

It wont stop certain blades posters from taking the mick, if it was the other way round we might just have the odd pop, we await CB. ;)

If it wasn’t for that green tag under my name I might be tempted , hasn’t another club had this problem as well, read something about it but cant remember the team.

Edit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/8325606.stm

Edited by Grandad.Malky

i seem to remember a mystery virus sweeping bramal lane a week or so ago...sure i read it on here somewhere.

this just gets even better, those travelling down to bristol must be thinking why oh why. absolute joke, tpyical team gets a virus when your already struggling enough

Awful to say, but let it be Purse and Buxton.