Sheffield Arena noise Wincobank

You're in denial if you don't think Leeds has overtaken Sheffield when it comes to showcasing the best talents from around the world.

It's dying and it's a shame.

Guest makapaka
You're in denial if you don't think Leeds has overtaken Sheffield when it comes to showcasing the best talents from around the world.

It's dying and it's a shame.

Maybe it has maybe it hasn't but it hasn't taken all of the gigs clearly, there's plenty of large acts still playing at the arena and attendance is still good when they play.

I am near Chesterfield and we heard Bruce Springsteen lol.

That's not true either is it.

What and who in Sheffield is killing culture?

Have you looked at gig listings in the city recently? Music fans spend all their time/money travelling to Leeds and Manchester now. It was once one of the major cities on a touring bands agenda- not now.

Many things are killing culture here- from stadiums being demolished, to venues being closed down, to funding, to small businesses being lost in favour of chain coffee shops- just look around. It's in a really bad phase right now. The Harley - no concerts planned. Queens Social Club- closed down. The Academy - rarely used, and if it is, it's more often than not for tribute bands. Leadmill- still making a big effort, but clearly struggling to book acts. City Hall also.

It's not just one thing causing it, but as the above poster said, if you think Sheffield ISN'T losing out to Leeds and Manchester, you're very wrong. Just have a quick google of an entertainment website and look at the vast array of things other cities have to offer on a nightly basis, then look at Sheffield.

I don't think the people of Sheffield mind that much though- I genuinely think they're more happy that we're getting a branch of Pret ('a sign Sheffield is on the up, according to the council, if you can believe that!) than the city having a national and internationally recognised arts scene.

I love Sheffield, it's my home, and it has many fantastic qualities, but it's crazy to suggest it's art and cultural scene hasn't torpedoed in the last 15 years or so.

Guest makapaka
Have you looked at gig listings in the city recently? Music fans spend all their time/money travelling to Leeds and Manchester now. It was once one of the major cities on a touring bands agenda- not now.

Many things are killing culture here- from stadiums being demolished, to venues being closed down, to funding, to small businesses being lost in favour of chain coffee shops- just look around. It's in a really bad phase right now. The Harley - no concerts planned. Queens Social Club- closed down. The Academy - rarely used, and if it is, it's more often than not for tribute bands. Leadmill- still making a big effort, but clearly struggling to book acts. City Hall also.

It's not just one thing causing it, but as the above poster said, if you think Sheffield ISN'T losing out to Leeds and Manchester, you're very wrong. Just have a quick google of an entertainment website and look at the vast array of things other cities have to offer on a nightly basis, then look at Sheffield.

I don't think the people of Sheffield mind that much though- I genuinely think they're more happy that we're getting a branch of Pret ('a sign Sheffield is on the up, according to the council, if you can believe that!) than the city having a national and internationally recognised arts scene.

I love Sheffield, it's my home, and it has many fantastic qualities, but it's crazy to suggest it's art and cultural scene hasn't torpedoed in the last 15 years or so.

So this is just the usual Leeds and Manchester have more so what we have is rubbish thread?

So this is just the usual Leeds and Manchester have more so what we have is rubbish thread?

We're a big city, and the fact we're slipping backwards in many areas is something lots of people are understandably concerned about. It makes no sense that people are travelling to other cities to spend their money on things sheffield isn't providing. That's bad news. No one is saying sheffield is rubbish-quite the opposite. We're a great city and that's why people are concerned and want it to pick up again.

Guest makapaka
We're a big city, and the fact we're slipping backwards in many areas is something lots of people are understandably concerned about. It makes no sense that people are travelling to other cities to spend their money on things sheffield isn't providing. That's bad news. No one is saying sheffield is rubbish-quite the opposite. We're a great city and that's why people are concerned and want it to pick up again.

I don't believe we are slipping backwards- you maybe right that Leeds and Manchester have more.

Are they hand wringing over London/Birmingham- I doubt it.

There's plenty going for Sheffield culturally.

I don't believe we are slipping backwards- you maybe right that Leeds and Manchester have more.

Are they hand wringing over London/Birmingham- I doubt it.

There's plenty going for Sheffield culturally.

There is, but compared to 15 years ago? No competition. So much more was on offer then, especially live music wise. At that period in time I can't remember myself or anyone I know constantly travelling to Leeds and Manchester to see live music- it was all on in Sheffield. Now...we have to do it all the time if we want to see many bands, all of whom just skip Sheffield entirely. That's a real shame.

Guest makapaka
There is, but compared to 15 years ago? No competition. So much more was on offer then, especially live music wise. At that period in time I can't remember myself or anyone I know constantly travelling to Leeds and Manchester to see live music- it was all on in Sheffield. Now...we have to do it all the time if we want to see many bands, all of whom just skip Sheffield entirely. That's a real shame.

You had to travel back then sometimes though - not every band came to Sheffield - I remember seeing big acts in Huddersfield and not thinking we were losing out to them.

Manchester was always a bigger draw musically with the MEN / apollo etc.

Leeds arena will have had an impact but it's not like no one comes to Sheffield anymore.

Saying the culture has been killed is an overreaction.

I'm looking to move across the city, possibly around the Wincobank area.

Anyone know if gigs at the Arena can be heard at night and how much of a disturbance this is?

Thanks. :)

When Don Valley Stadium was still up you'd occasionally hear a concert if you had the windows open (I got to listen to U2 for free this way) but never heard a thing from the Arena.

The only noise you might hear (depending on which side of the hill you're on) is a fairly noisy Christmas Lights switch on event where there's always some idiot shouting into a microphone for a few hours and also, occasionally, you might hear the drop hammer at Forgemasters if it's a very quiet night.

In my experience in Wincobank the higher up the hill you go the better housing gets and the quieter the roads are.

Guest makapaka

I grew up in wincobank - was a great place in the 80s / early 90s - not sure what it's like now. I know a lot of the pubs have closed and those that are left struggle.

There were a lot of nice people around then and a good community spirit with kids knocking about together and adults all knew each other from pub etc.

Thanks for your feedback, sounds like Arena noise isn't going to be a problem. :)