Sarsaparilla bars - any one remember them?

I remember buying sarsaparilla in a herbalists at Darnall but it wasn't a bar as such. Musgrove's? would that be it?
Yes - 1960s directories show "J. Musgrove, herbalist" at 683 Staniforth Road.

Yes - 1960s directories show "J. Musgrove, herbalist" at 683 Staniforth Road.

Hi Hillsborough:

I'm looking to name the little strip of shops in Heeley Green than ran along Gleadless Road, from the Co-op through a number of shops including what we called "The Drink Shop", to the butcher, just before the Wagon and Horses.

Our uncle had the chemist shop.

If you could point me to a link, to a directory, say for 1950, you could clear up a little confusion for my brother and I.

TIA

By the way, our drink of choice was Vimto. Served hot in the cold weather.

Edited by trastrick

In Heeley Green, the Drinks Shop, in the 1960's and 70's, we knew as Maisie's but I think the name above the shop was Greathead's. The fittings from the shop are in the Weston Park Museum collection but are not currently on display.

In Heeley Green, the Drinks Shop, in the 1960's and 70's, we knew as Maisie's but I think the name above the shop was Greathead's. The fittings from the shop are in the Weston Park Museum collection but are not currently on display.

If my memory serves me, it was Broadheads, pretty close though! :)

There was a caf'e on Spital hill many years ago that used to sell sasparilla. We used to go in quite often, mostly to play the pinball machine.

Yes Pitsmoorboy I remember the café with the pin ball machine's, but also lower down (what we called the drinks shop) where one could get any flavoured drink plus hot drinks like OXO HORLICKs TEA & COFFER spent a lot of time in both.

I used to go to one on Stubbin Lane Firth Park, I can still remember the smell of the warm sasperella. mmmmm

Me too, saturday afternoon coming out of the Paragon cinama and spending our last few pennies of our saturday spending money on a drink.

:hihi:

Hi Hillsborough: I'm looking to name the little strip of shops in Heeley Green than ran along Gleadless Road, from the Co-op through a number of shops including what we called "The Drink Shop", to the butcher, just before the Wagon and Horses...
I somehow only just saw this (Mrs Hillsbro and I were on holiday in early August). Here is a scan from the 1951 Kelly's Directory. Yes, hot Vimto was just the thing on cold winter days! :)

I somehow only just saw this (Mrs Hillsbro and I were on holiday in early August). Here is a scan from the 1951 Kelly's Directory. Yes, hot Vimto was just the thing on cold winter days! :)

Thank you for that, Hillsboro'. It clears up a lot of memories.

The "Sarsaparilla bar", we always called it the 'drink shop', is listed as Jn. Wm. Allen, Herbalist. My uncle Doug (Kermeen) is there, too.

Dungworth's greengrocers, and Wallenders Wallpaper shop home to two of my school girlfriends :)

Shop names were always a little confusing, because old folks referred to shops in the neighborhood by the names of their old proprietors, and it took a while for new owners to get their names well known.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Edited by trastrick

there was a drinks shop in heeley green,on gleadless road in the 50/60s.The last temperance bar open now is in rawtenstall lancashire and is still busy to this day.They had to stop selling sarsaparilla,as we know it,not long ago,they had to make up a new recipe,i cant remember why ,something to do with an ingredient used in the old recipe,not being allowed to be used.Anyway i believe it tastes the same!You can buy allsorts of remedies there,slippery elm!any one remember that for sickness,arrowroot to mention two!

Hi all, I lived in Kent Road, Heeley. I used to go into the Sarsaparilla Bar on Heeley Green, and try to be a Big Deal drinking Sarsaparilla in a big glass. Other times we drank Vimto. It was only a small bar with not many chairs and a few high stools along the front of the bar.

Hi all, I lived in Kent Road, Heeley. I used to go into the Sarsaparilla Bar on Heeley Green, and try to be a Big Deal drinking Sarsaparilla in a big glass. Other times we drank Vimto. It was only a small bar with not many chairs and a few high stools along the front of the bar.

Some of the fixtures and fittings from this shop are now in the Weston Park museum in Sheffield.

My dad used to take us to Tony's at weekends, Tony Di Donno's it was called, and the sign outside said "Temperance bar" which I guess is a kind of religious abstension from alcohol.

These words are still carved in the stone of the building, and you can see it as you drive past on your way to Tesco's.

I know im 12 years late... but that was my Grandads shop :).

I know im 12 years late... but that was my Grandads shop :).

Well, he ran a great shop- wish it was still there!