Eastern Moor Chimney?

We have been driving to longshaw/wooden pole quite a bit and spotted a chimney in the distance so decided to explore today. We did think it could be part of a reservoir but when we got up close couldn't tell what it was.

Its a big round brick built thing on eastern moor. It did look like at one time it had a doorway but its now blocked up. As we walked away from it, it did look as though smoke was coming out of it!

Does anyone know what it is/was tried to google but cant find anything.

Thanks x

Where do you mean by 'eastern moor' - did you go as far south as Totley Moor? If so, there are several ventilation chimneys for the railway tunnel underneath which fit your description.

Where do you mean by 'eastern moor' - did you go as far south as Totley Moor? If so, there are several ventilation chimneys for the railway tunnel underneath which fit your description.

It sounds like the top of one of the railway tunnel air shafts to me too.

@4leggies

There are photos of the one near Longshaw here. Was that it?

That's them!!! Brilliant thankyou!

So daft question but why do they smoke?

I took a pic on my phone but cant attach it.

Thanks x

That's them!!! Brilliant thankyou!

So daft question but why do they smoke?

I took a pic on my phone but cant attach it.

Thanks x

Diesel exhaust from the trains. There's 3.5 miles of tunnel and the fumes can't be dissipated along the way like it can in the open air. So it's got to come out of either end of the tunnel or the air shafts.

They would have smoked much more when there were steam trains.

That particular one leads down into a big cavern that's just to the side of the tunnel itself. If you search for "totley tunnel cavern" in Google and look at the images, it looks pretty impressive.

Diesel exhaust from the trains. There's 3.5 miles of tunnel and the fumes can't be dissipated along the way like it can in the open air. So it's got to come out of either end of the tunnel or the air shafts.

They would have smoked much more when there were steam trains.

Hit upon this old thread when looking for something else. Not, usually, diesel fumes. Totley tunnel is over 600 feet below and more than 3 miles long. The air in there is at a temperature that is warmer or colder than it is at the top of the shaft, whatever the time of year.

Totley Moss above the tunnel is wet and that water seeps down and drips into the tunnel making the atmosphere down there damp. As trains pass through they push air along the tunnel and combined with the temperature differentials cause damp air to rise up the shaft.

In winter that often leads to a light mist emerging into the air, the same as when we breathe out in cold air. If you stand by the shaft you can sometimes feel it fall back like a light drizzle.

If a steam train passes through you may get some smoke. In earlier days there'd have been more smoke as heavy freight trains blasted their way through the tunnel. It would have to be a very dirty diesel engine for fumes to visibly reach the surface so far from the tracks.