Real ale pubs showing world cup matches

Me and a few friends want to watch Wednesday's England game (why? you may ask) in a pub with a decent sized screen. However, we don't really want to go to a sports bar or 'student' pub. It has to be somewhere that sells real ale and it has to be in town. Can anyone suggest somewhere?

The only one I know of is the Red Lion on Charles Street but to be honest, it's not my favourite place and I've been served some poor beer there. I prefer the Washington or Rutland and places like that.

Me and a few friends want to watch Wednesday's England game (why? you may ask) in a pub with a decent sized screen. However, we don't really want to go to a sports bar or 'student' pub. It has to be somewhere that sells real ale and it has to be in town. Can anyone suggest somewhere?

The only one I know of is the Red Lion on Charles Street but to be honest, it's not my favourite place and I've been served some poor beer there. I prefer the Washington or Rutland and places like that.

I could tell you, but that would mean less chance of me getting a seat :D

Ok, I'll tell you, but if you nab the last table I'll cry. Henrys (as discussed in recent threads) was a cracking place to watch the last one. Good real ales, cheap as chips, good food, big screen... Works for me :cool:

Try Henry's on Cambridge Street.

Also, out Hillsborough way there's the New Barrack Tavern and maybe even the Rawson Spring if you fancy a Wetherspoons.

Henry's! Great suggestion, cheers you two. I haven't been there yet.

Try Henry's on Cambridge Street.

Also, out Hillsborough way there's the New Barrack Tavern and maybe even the Rawson Spring if you fancy a Wetherspoons.

The Rawson was apparently cracking for the first game. I didn't go but a couple of my mates said it was quality.

I must admit that I do like Henry's. If you can blag your way onto the balcony there that will be the best place in the venue to watch the game.

The Rawson was apparently cracking for the first game. I didn't go but a couple of my mates said it was quality.

I was in there in Saturday and I must admit that the big screen is pretty decent for watching the World Cup.

I walked past the other day...they've got replica pews and wooden tables a bit like our church pews and your wooden table you made...

That's our venue I reckon. Seen the tennis score btw? Federer struggling!

That's our venue I reckon. Seen the tennis score btw? Federer struggling!

I demand a big screen on our decking for WIMBO! right here right now :)

Cremorne on London Rd has a huge LCD TV and some nice ale on tap...

There's a group of about twenty of us looking for somewhere to go to watch the match on Wednesday. Henry's sounds just the job. Sounds like we'd better get there early.

I must admit that I do like Henry's. If you can blag your way onto the balcony there that will be the best place in the venue to watch the World Cup.

If you'd like to book Henry's balcony area for any of the matches, do get in touch. It is available to book, free of charge, providing it isn't booked already. This goes for any sporting event or function - just drop me a PM if you'd like any more information.

Edit - I've just checked our bookings and we've recently taken a booking for the balcony area for Wednesday 23rd - which makes that area full for that game. But if you'd like to book a table on the ground floor for that game, do get in touch.

Edited by wiz*