Before Central heating

Who remembers scraping the ice off from inside their bedroom windows to look out? Going to bed and shivering and playing tunes with your shivering teeth? Soon be winter again !!!!!!

And a few slices of toast done on an open coal fire..

"Oh the nostalgia.... You woke up in the morning, snug in bed. Most of you was warm enough but your nose-end was freezing. You could see a layer of ice on the inside of the the bedroom window, beyond which was a Christmas-card scene of snow lying deep and crisp and even. Grabbing a pullover you went down the stairs (two flights in our case - No 20 Dykes Hall Road was a cellar-kitchen house) and across the yard to the sub-zero outside lav. Needless to say, someone had used the last square of Daily Herald from the rusty nail on the back of the door and, of course, the Tilley lamp had gone out during the night and the cistern was frozen solid. Back to bed, pausing on the way to put a match to the fire that had been laid the night before, and hoping that by the time you had to get up for school the living-room would be several degrees above zero. The good old days!"

I wrote this on another thread but it seemed appropriate here. Oh, the benefits of central heating! :)

Half an inch of snow nowadays, and it makes headline news.

Half an inch of snow nowadays, and it makes headline news.

I used to put on all my clothes at once not one item at a time.One coal fire in one room only.Warm on the fire side,freezing on the other.At least we had an inside toilet with a tiny paraffin lamp.Luxury !!

Can remember me and my two brothers on weekly bath night (Sunday) . All in the nice warm bath together , then running down the stairs naked and getting dried off in front of a roaring coal fire . We were 18 , 16 and 15 at that time :)

Can remember me and my two brothers on weekly bath night (Sunday) . All in the nice warm bath together , then running down the stairs naked and getting dried off in front of a roaring coal fire . We were 18 , 16 and 15 at that time :)

Ha Ha Ha, remember that Hackey, Sunday night bath night..

---------- Post added 14-09-2018 at 22:55 ----------

At least we did"nt have a tin bath.

Ha Ha Ha, remember that Hackey, Sunday night bath night..

---------- Post added 14-09-2018 at 22:55 ----------

At least we did"nt have a tin bath.

No tin baths for us , we were posh ont Royal Hackenthorpe :)

"Oh the nostalgia.... You woke up in the morning, snug in bed. Most of you was warm enough but your nose-end was freezing. You could see a layer of ice on the inside of the the bedroom window, beyond which was a Christmas-card scene of snow lying deep and crisp and even. Grabbing a pullover you went down the stairs (two flights in our case - No 20 Dykes Hall Road was a cellar-kitchen house) and across the yard to the sub-zero outside lav. Needless to say, someone had used the last square of Daily Herald from the rusty nail on the back of the door and, of course, the Tilley lamp had gone out during the night and the cistern was frozen solid. Back to bed, pausing on the way to put a match to the fire that had been laid the night before, and hoping that by the time you had to get up for school the living-room would be several degrees above zero. The good old days!"

I wrote this on another thread but it seemed appropriate here. Oh, the benefits of central heating! :)

All sounds so familiar Hillsbro I would just like to add the amount of blankets we had on in those days. As you say your nose was frozen with snot icicles on your top lip, yet under the blankets, you were sweating like a pig:D

All sounds so familiar Hillsbro I would just like to add the amount of blankets we had on in those days. As you say your nose was frozen with snot icicles on your top lip, yet under the blankets, you were sweating like a pig:D

I had two older brothers who had been in the military, their Army and Air Force great coats were useful as the top blanket.

Remember those days well. 1950s, so many blankets that this 5 year old hadn't the strength to turn over due to the sheer weight.

Either so close to the living room fire that I felt sick …. any further away and it was freezing.

Early morning wash meant freezing cold water.... unless mom felt generous and put kettle on.

Oh for the return of those days. :hihi:

Remember those days well. 1950s, so many blankets that this 5 year old hadn't the strength to turn over due to the sheer weight.

Either so close to the living room fire that I felt sick …. any further away and it was freezing.

Early morning wash meant freezing cold water.... unless mom felt generous and put kettle on.

Oh for the return of those days. :hihi:

"And you tell the young ones of today, and they don't believe you" :D