New roundabout Moss Way

What is everyone's thoughts on the new roundabout on Moss Way with the junction of Birley Spar?

Apparently put in to speed up bus services, but buses appear to struggle to get round, there is horrendously queues both ways on Moss Way every day now and yesterday there was a mini in the buses that had obviously clipped the kerb.

I have never seen as many accident damaged cars on here until this was put in and never experienced as much traffic.

In the current climate of wanting to reduce emissions and car idle times it seems bizzar SC has done something that has increased this and a bet if the air quality is checked in the area this would be greatly reduced

I posted about this when it was at the consultation stage and they were asking for peoples thoughts, I said why not use traffic lights which are controlled. Friday while I was waiting to turn right from Birley Spa Lane an Audi coming from the roundabout at the police station must have been doing well over 40mph and went straight over the roundabout. I can't understand why they brought the corner out as most of the buses I have seen coming from the PS roundabout have gone over the the centre white line on BSL. Also the buses turning right from BSL seem to struggle and go over the roundabout. I am sure it said the work was going to take 3 months from the start of June and the work is still not completed.

Edited by iansheff

It does seem very small for the volume of traffic that area generates and yes the buses do seem to have a problem going round it because its very tight

Then there's the fact that they've left raised ironworks on it as well.

If they had installed traffic lights surely it would have been a lot cheaper, quicker and a lot less mess.

If they had installed traffic lights surely it would have been a lot cheaper, quicker and a lot less mess.

Traffic signals are very expensive, six figure sums, even for a smallish junction.

Getting the infrastructure into the ground can be problematic, there are already lots of buried services in footways and verges. You also have to excavate across the roads to get the ducting in place, which needs traffic management or closures.

Not straightforward or cheap to install and then there's the maintenance and operational costs as well.

Roundabouts can be a better solution in the right place.

Edited by Planner1

Totally unnecessary, tippical of Sheffield to make matters worse when trying to make them better.

Who is paying for this because it does look like its being done on the cheap ?

It’s an absolute Joke! I will admit I flew over this because I didn’t even realise it was done. I can see another shambles of it being removed just like what happened with the bus lane in woodseats.

Just read many ,many choice comments on Hackenthorpe Community Forums page on Facebook . Lots of people very unhappy people

Traffic signals are very expensive, six figure sums, even for a smallish junction.

Getting the infrastructure into the ground can be problematic, there are already lots of buried services in footways and verges. You also have to excavate across the roads to get the ducting in place, which needs traffic management or closures.

Not straightforward or cheap to install and then there's the maintenance and operational costs as well.

Roundabouts can be a better solution in the right place.

Perhaps they could have put some there instead of the ones on the A57 Wales Bar turn off, there are loads of "expensive" traffic signals there that still have bags over them months after installation

Perhaps they could have put some there instead of the ones on the A57 Wales Bar turn off, there are loads of "expensive" traffic signals there that still have bags over them months after installation

That because when they turned them on the area came to a stand still and was carnage. They simply wasn't needed there