Landlord licensing

Further to a now-closed 2014 thread on this (Page Hall) https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1265555&highlight=landlord+licensing&page=5, SCC has published updated advice for landlords in affected areas: certain parts of London Road, Abbeydale Road and Chesterfield Road. See http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/are-you-licensed-to-rent/

It includes this:

The new Selective Licensing scheme which comes into effect from 1 November 2018 means that landlords must have a licence for every private rented property they control. The scheme is designed to make sure that landlords can only rent out properties of a satisfactory standard, and that they manage them well.

Many properties in the area are in need of repair and maintenance. In the past three years the council has been working intensively in the London Road, Abbeydale Road and Chesterfield Road areas as a result of increased complaints and referrals.

Landlords who the council understands own private rented property within the Selective Licensing area will receive a licence application form by post in August. If landlords who own property in the area do not receive an application form in the post they should contact the council on the telephone number below.

Landlords must submit a valid application before 1 November 2018. The application form comes with clear guidance notes to allow for easy and correct completion. There will be a two-stage fee, with £500 paid at the time of application. If the forms are fully and correctly completed and all requested documents are included and valid there will be a second payment of £250.

Landlords that do not fully and correctly complete the form, do not provide all documentation required, or provide fraudulent information, will have a higher second payment of £500 to pay. Those that do not apply at all, or who have to be chased, will pay a total of £1,500. In addition, landlords that don’t comply will be liable for prosecution (as it will be a criminal offence) and/or financial penalties.

The Selective Licensing scheme is being implemented after a period of consultation with landlords, tenants, residents and business in the area.

I'd be happier if SCC targeted specific properties and landlords and actually carry out action against them, i see it as SCC robbing decent landlords of funds that may well already be putting into the maintenance and services.

I'd be happier if SCC targeted specific properties and landlords and actually carry out action against them, i see it as SCC robbing decent landlords of funds that may well already be putting into the maintenance and services.

Yes not good for tenants either as landlords will attempt to pass it on no doubt about that . i guess a lot of landlords will just out tenants A . S. P. and sell up as not worth it this includes decent landlords . Good job S C C has some were to rehouse them . Been better to just fine bad landlords well done S C C you have just made a lot of famlies homeless :suspect:

What is the justification for upto a thousand pounds in fees?

Clearly this is going to be passed straight onto the tenants, but how exactly will SCC know which properties are rented and which are not?

How many sub-standard properties are rented on the sly?

Happy SCC are doing something to combat rogue landlords. But I kind of agree with other posters. Heavy handed to penalize ALL landlords just as fee ban is coming into place, a lot of this will fall on the tenants.

---------- Post added 17-08-2018 at 11:59 ----------

When I say "something" I mean wrong solution but at least it's a recognition of a problem.

---------- Post added 17-08-2018 at 12:01 ----------

What is the justification for upto a thousand pounds in fees?

Clearly this is going to be passed straight onto the tenants, but how exactly will SCC know which properties are rented and which are not?

How many sub-standard properties are rented on the sly?

Yet another poorly thought through initiative. I wonder about SCC motives. Are they simply asking landlords to fill a hole in budget or do they genuinely want to assist private tenants?

Didn’t make no difference in Page Hall.....

Guest makapaka

The government should do a phased CPO on private rented properties with help to buy assistance for existing tenants if they want it and affordable rents for those that don't.

Obviously thought needs to go into the mechanism but the principle is sound for me.

Where is the money going to come from?

And why does the Government want to buy so many houses in the first place, could you imagine the size of the budget needed just for maintenance???

Guest makapaka
Where is the money going to come from?

And why does the Government want to buy so many houses in the first place, could you imagine the size of the budget needed just for maintenance???

Because there’s a housing shortage. It’s just reclaiming houses from private ownership back into council housing.

Like I said it would need a lot of thought but the principle is sound.

Because there’s a housing shortage. It’s just reclaiming houses from private ownership back into council housing.

Like I said it would need a lot of thought but the principle is sound.

I'd see that as a step backward councils are full of complacency, I say that as an ex council tenant chasing for repairs, living on rundown council estates, my opinion is that Councils are the biggest problem landlords out there, they have a history of letting properties slide into disrepair and abandoning problem areas, streets that's full of unsightly graffiti tags and other social signs of neglect, including gangs and drug users.

Councils can't maintain the streets let alone housing, sound ideas and principles in theory, have a tendency to get dragged down by reality.

Guest makapaka
I'd see that as a step backward councils are full of complacency, I say that as an ex council tenant chasing for repairs, living on rundown council estates, my opinion is that Councils are the biggest problem landlords out there, they have a history of letting properties slide into disrepair and abandoning problem areas, streets that's full of unsightly graffiti tags and other social signs of neglect, including gangs and drug users.

Councils can't maintain the streets let alone housing, sound ideas and principles in theory, have a tendency to get dragged down by reality.

It would provide availability, affordability and stability for millions of people current living at the whim of an individual profiteering from their situation.

It would provide availability, affordability and stability for millions of people current living at the whim of an individual profiteering from their situation.

My bold=

Only a non landlord would come out with that.

It would never happen so just another pie in the sky idea if you ask me.....