The changing face of Chapeltown

The Royal Oak was shut at the weekend, rumour is that it is in trouble for non payment of bills. What with the Wagon not looking like it will open again this is bad news for Chapeltown

One day Chapletown will shut down.

Less pubs+ less crappy fastfood outlets = less loonies causing mayhem at night.

Asda/Walmart wiped out all the shops even opening a Pharmacy across the road from a long established one. It also has an opticians dept as well.

All Asda needs now is a tattoo parlour, a hairdressers and a massage parlour.

Maybe now all the loonies will go to town at night...............and join the rest.

cant see the prob, chap is like hillsborough wall to wall chavs, some really nice pubs lost too the top 40 charts. maybe some will recover as decent venues like they were before :)

No,the answer is kick the loonies out so the decent folk can go back in and feel safe.A pub near me was like going into a wild west saloon until it got a landlord who knew the ropes he employed very large doormen and anyone under 25 is kicked out at 7 pm now there is never any trouble the place is full from Thursday onwards with a varying age group and the meals are very good and the doormen are pleasant. If anyone is caught with drugs he bans them for life.

No,the answer is kick the loonies out so the decent folk can go back in and feel safe.A pub near me was like going into a wild west saloon until it got a landlord who knew the ropes he employed very large doormen and anyone under 25 is kicked out at 7 pm now there is never any trouble the place is full from Thursday onwards with a varying age group and the meals are very good and the doormen are pleasant. If anyone is caught with drugs he bans them for life.

Sounds like a good way to deal with the loutish behavior we have to put up with in pubs these days.

Which pub is it?

It is true The Royal Oak was closed because of it's owners ( Not Enterprise this time ) bleeding it dry, paid no bills and used the money it made over Christmas to fund their last running pub. They didn't give a crap about staff and customers and hopefully it will come round and bite them in the arse. RIP The Royal Oak

really sad when key parts of communities go like this

Was a great place to drink back in my youth,you would know everybody in the pubs,now i hardly know anybody.

I was watching the Parliament channel yesterday and the Labour MP for Chesterfield Toby Perkins brought a point of order about pub companies. He stated that since 2010 pubs were closing at a rate of 18 a week. At one point he gave way to a Conservative backbencher who made the point that during Labours time in office pubs were closing at a rate of 50 a week. Toby was offended by that, accusing the MP of political pointscoring, but isn't that what Toby Perkins was trying to do by saying "since 2010...."? why did he start from 2010?

Edited by That easy

Sadly it's not only chapeltown.

The ball inn has joined the many pubs that are now gone in Ecclesfield.

I used to go in The Oak on a Saturday night,it was always full of the older end as opposed to chavs.

I didn't go in the ball at night, but was told it was full of chavs stinking of drugs.

It is to let but needs a proper landlord/manager to get anyone to go back in there.

I don't think the oak will have this problem though.