Rose & Crown (t'Top House) - Wadsley

Does anyone know what's happening to The Rose & Crown pub in Wadsley (more commonly known locally as as t'Top House)? Last time I was in there was just before Christmas 2017 - it seemed quite lively and seemed to be doing a good trade.

I was up in Sheff visiting my family last week and t'Top House was shut down. There's a rather amateurish-looking notice tacked on to the front door... saying that it will be closed "until further notice", but no further info or explanation beyond that.

Seems a shame. I grew up around that area, and although there are a few decent pubs round there, t'Top House has always been my favourite of them all. Hope it can re-open soon.

It closed suddenly almost 2 weeks ago, the current owner /landlord has sadly let it decline in past 12mths or so. It is such a shame as a perfect spot for drinks, food etc in what used to be a lovely beer garden. he put a message on facebook that will remain closed until new owners are to be found. Really hope it can be bought by someone who will return the pub & its food to how it should be run, & quickly. His ex partner left him about 18 mths ago (after his affair with one of her friends), & she ran the pub excellently before this. he is a full time builder /joiner & hasnt got the time or knowledge to run a busy gastropub. I mean what landlord goes away for almost 3 weeks over xmas with girlfriend leaving pub in hands of a brand new manager !! We had few issues over this period with poor meals etc , after chef after chef came & failed ? Sincerely hope one day soon someone to get this lovely pub back on its feet.

......it would be a good pub for Bradfield Brewery to buy outright if possible! I beleive they have tried to buy the Crown & Glove at Stannington but Punch Taverns won't sell (probably too valuable as a future building site).

Is there any more news on the future of t'Top House yet? Has it re-opened - and if not, is it likely to re-open any time in the foreseeable future?

It would be really sad if this pub was lost to that area of Sheffield. It's gone through many changes, refurbs, expansions and landlord changes in my lifetime.

I was first taken there, as a small child, by my mum and dad in the 60's, it was a tiny little place, run by a bloke called Ted Caitlin - a former Sheffield Wednesday player, from the 1930's, I think. It was basically just a small single cottage, which had become a pub at some point past.

It had It had a tiny little bar, the size of a serving hatch, a very small bar-room with an open fire - and the toilets were outside - at the other side of a bleak yard - that was inky, pitch dark, if you were there at night.

At some point in the late 70's, or maybe early '80's, they modernised big-style - bought out the 2 or 3 cottages behind the original building - and created a long, thin pub, with 2 bars on 2 different levels, indoor loos and a really nice outdoor beer garden, with great views for the adults and plenty to entertain the kids …. a sandpit and small play area, a chicken coop with a few hens scratching about ….. a field directly behind the pub, that often has a couple of horses or ponies in it - who always run up and hang their heads over the wall, to be fed or petted by the kids.

These days, t'Top House , despite it's many changes, seems to have always retained part of it's original character - just a proper pub, with it's core of locals and plenty of passing trade. It would be a massive shame if it was lost forever.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Is there any further news about t'Top House? Has it re-opened? If not, will it re-open in the future....or is it forever doomed?