Landlord licensing

Government types (and I don't need to explain that further, they are their own type) are not capable people. They don't know how to incentivise people into doing the right thing - for everyone. There are ways to help Landlords to help Tenants to help everyone, but the Government type mindset doesn't work in that way - they prefer high-handed apply-to-all legislation. They prefer to use a hammer when, often, a scalpel is required. If the Tenancy Relations Officer / Team at SCC focused on bringing each rogue Landlord to task using all the existing legislation available, it would send a message, then onto the next rogue Landlord, then the next - and each time material positive changes would be being made to people's lives. They'd rather come up with a policy, or booklet, or directive - one that all the good Landlords will adhere to anyway, one that all the rogue Landlords will ignore - again. The largest rogue Landlords could be a focused project for someone in the Council - and they could feel really good about their wins, time after time. But they don't have the mindset. Rather than these types being rewarded for new initiatives - they could be rewarded for successful convictions (if that's the right word) of rogue Landlords... but, surely, the reward of them knowing they'd done some actual good would be enough? Selective Licensing I cannot believe is the answer; it doesn't seem to have been, yet.

Tenants would have a home for life in the government supported option.

I agree more houses should also be built.

Given how cash strapped SCC is, I wonder if them owning houses would not exacerbate the disrepair issues? Especially if they buy them from landlords who do take their responsibilities seriously.

Tenants will only have a home for life if their circumstances do not change and we all know that everyone's circumstances change at some time. My tenants only move on when their needs outgrow what I can supply. Unless you are advocating that councils build extensions on to existing housing to accommodate larger families I don't think that your argument holds water.

Guest makapaka
Tenants will only have a home for life if their circumstances do not change and we all know that everyone's circumstances change at some time. My tenants only move on when their needs outgrow what I can supply. Unless you are advocating that councils build extensions on to existing housing to accommodate larger families I don't think that your argument holds water.

Why do you need to build extensions?

Why do you need to build extensions?

Because you stated a home for life, meaning couples starting out only need a certain number of bedrooms, but may go on to have several kids therefore the home/accommodation would also need to grow.

Or does everyone get a 4 bedroom house just in case, maybe you will be turfing out other tenants as they're needs become less kids off to uni etc therefore no longer a home for life:roll:

Guest makapaka
Because you stated a home for life, meaning couples starting out only need a certain number of bedrooms, but may go on to have several kids therefore the home/accommodation would also need to grow.

Or does everyone get a 4 bedroom house just in case, maybe you will be turfing out other tenants as they're needs become less kids off to uni etc therefore no longer a home for life:roll:

Of course people will want to move - but they know they won’t be forced to move. They’re two very different things.

I don’t think everyone should get a 4 bed house and I obviously don’t think people should be turfed out of their home - that’s one of the main things I’m saying shouldn’t happen.

Then you'll just end up with a load of old couples sitting pretty in large houses they don't really need, while the younger generation struggle to find somewhere of appropriate size for their expanding family.

Guest makapaka
Then you'll just end up with a load of old couples sitting pretty in large houses they don't really need, while the younger generation struggle to find somewhere of appropriate size for their expanding family.

Why’s that? What size houses and what size families are you basing this on?

What do you want the older couples to do - move out?

Why is that different to renting from a private landlord?

Few of posts #2 to #44 deal with the SCC Selective Licensing scheme; and those that do still fail to recognise that the Housing Acts introduced the scheme for implementation in areas when needed- it's not merely a whim of SCC and nor is it citywide.