1970s bands worth a revisit

What about what Jeff Lynne has done with ELO,they were massive in the 70s and sound even better today even though Jeff is now the only original member now Richard ? the piano guy seems to have left. I know they have always been a pure pop and top thirty type band, but folks are still turning out to see them. They were at Wembley recently. Jeff Lynne is an extremely talented singer. songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer, and apparently an exceptionally nice chap.

Another great band ,radio 2 has been playing Mr Blue Sky recently.

not heard that album will try to get hold of a copy

Just got hold of a copy and had a good listen, jonny is a competent player but its the sort of material that I've heard dozens of times before, nothing that stands out as special, on a par with many fine players doing the pubs in Sheffield, such as Steve French and his band.

My main point was how good he was at 16,which is how old he was when he made that album. He is way more accomplished today at 36 and one of his later albums was nominated for a Grammy.He has appeared on some of Eric Clapton's Crossroads festivals and Eric only invites top notch guitar players to those events.

The Bitter Suite were very good, remember seeing them a few times, mid to late seventies I think. The main singer had a lovely voice, I wonder what happened to him? I do remember them singing that iconic song Dreamer. They were very trendy at the time.

Didn’t realise John Parr was in the group until Choogling mentioned it. I’ve been listening to Parr on YouTube, he’s good.

What about what Jeff Lynne has done with ELO,they were massive in the 70s and sound even better today even though Jeff is now the only original member now Richard ? the piano guy seems to have left. I know they have always been a pure pop and top thirty type band, but folks are still turning out to see them. They were at Wembley recently. Jeff Lynne is an extremely talented singer. songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and producer, and apparently an exceptionally nice chap.

Richard Tandy. He's been ill but was due to return to the lineup. No update as yet.

the 1981 album, Time by ELO pretty much constant on my daughter's phone (teenagers eh?)

The Bitter Suite were very good, remember seeing them a few times, mid to late seventies I think. The main singer had a lovely voice, I wonder what happened to him? I do remember them singing that iconic song Dreamer. They were very trendy at the time.

Didn’t realise John Parr was in the group until Choogling mentioned it. I’ve been listening to Parr on YouTube, he’s good.

The singer with Bitter Suite was Barry Marshall.

I'm more back end of the 70's - How about the Buzzcocks?

ELO performed as recently as yesterday (Aug.22nd 2018) in Madison Square Garden, NY.

Edited by St Petre
Add

Caught the BBC4 documentary last week, 'Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop'. Started off with a few minutes featuring Peter Green with John McVie telling how Green went to a party, took 1 acid tab & that was basically his downfall.

Then it moved on to Buckingham & Nicks joining but what a great story behind the making of the 'Rumours' LP & all the stories of how the songs came about; who was having relationships with who, (Mick Fleetwood & Stevie Nicks trying to keep a secret relationship going, while at the same time, Fleetwood was also seeing Nicks' best friend), while Buckingham & Nicks' relationship was falling apart. Nicks wrote 'Dreams' to have a go at Buckingham; he wrote 'Go Your Own Way', about her in retaliation & they both had to sing them every night for years.

Also can't believe that Nicks' turned 70 this year.

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Caught the BBC4 documentary last week, 'Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop'. Started off with a few minutes featuring Peter Green with John McVie telling how Green went to a party, took 1 acid tab & that was basically his downfall.

Then it moved on to Buckingham & Nicks joining but what a great story behind the making of the 'Rumours' LP & all the stories of how the songs came about; who was having relationships with who, (Mick Fleetwood & Stevie Nicks trying to keep a secret relationship going, while at the same time, Fleetwood was also seeing Nicks' best friend), while Buckingham & Nicks' relationship was falling apart. Nicks wrote 'Dreams' to have a go at Buckingham; he wrote 'Go Your Own Way', about her in retaliation & they both had to sing them every night for years.

Also can't believe that Nicks' turned 70 this year.

Buckingham left Mac again in April of this year, he has teamed up with a well-known band or singer, but can't quite remember who it is.

---------- Post added 24-08-2018 at 18:38 ----------

ELO performed as recently as yesterday (Aug.22nd 2018) in Madison Square Garden, NY.

Yeah, they are a bigger act now than they were in the 70s, ironically it is almost all their 70s music that is pulling in the crowds. I have seen a lot of footage on YouTube over the last couple of years and I get the impression that Jeff has a happy crew on stage, they all seem to love being in the show as much as the audience enjoys watching them. Strange Magic I call it :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 24-08-2018 at 18:47 ----------

Talking of the Gardens, saw Eric Clapton there over 3 years ago and he had two Sheffield lads on stage with him, Paul Carrack on Hammond and Chris Stainton on piano.

Not really off topic here as all three guys go back to the 70s and beyond in Eric's and Chris's case.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Not exactly a band but worth a revisit!

Two or three years ago i was given a couple of tickets to go and see Albert Hammond at the Memorial Hall! didn't know what to expect as I hadn't heard anything about him since his hits in the early 70s, the whole show was a showcase of his songbook, Wow I couldn't believe how many songs he'd written and the list of stars who had hits with his songs.

One of his hits in the 70s was It "Never Rains in Southern California" said he wrote it on a rainy day in Fulham! for a guy in his seventies! he could still hack it on the stage.

Not exactly a band but worth a revisit!

Two or three years ago i was given a couple of tickets to go and see Albert Hammond at the Memorial Hall! didn't know what to expect as I hadn't heard anything about him since his hits in the early 70s, the whole show was a showcase of his songbook, Wow I couldn't believe how many songs he'd written and the list of stars who had hits with his songs.

One of his hits in the 70s was It "Never Rains in Southern California" said he wrote it on a rainy day in Fulham! for a guy in his seventies! he could still hack it on the stage.

knighted, I believe for services to music and quite rightly deserved.

read more http://musicvf.com/songs.php?page=artist&artist=Albert+Hammond&tab=songaswriterchartstab

Edited by choogling