Your message here

Grass Verge need cutting - Sheffield Council

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-05-2018, 21:55   #1
barmyowls

Total Posts: 2,766
Very slow cutting Grass Verge this year S6 area , some places 3ft high
Ive cut mine myself twice in last few week -I don't mind doing it .
But wondering if Sheffield council not bothering or is it cause they cut there work force -any other areas not done ??
_______
LIFE IS JUST BARMY
SHEFFIELD
21-05-2018, 21:58   #2
Colin Foster

Total Posts: 500
I always cut the verge outside mine myself, takes 5 minutes if that and looks much better than having grass cuttings left behind. Sadly I'm the only one who can be arsed on my road.
21-05-2018, 21:59   #3
hackey lad

Total Posts: 3,964
Knee high around our way . They are not bothered now after the elections
21-05-2018, 22:01   #4
biotechpete

Total Posts: 3,229
I believe general guidance on verges is to cut them where there is a need for safety/visibility but to cut less often to allow a benefit for wildlife/plants and reduce pollution.
_______
Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat
21-05-2018, 22:10   #5
hackey lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechpete View Post
I believe general guidance on verges is to cut them where there is a need for safety/visibility but to cut less often to allow a benefit for wildlife/plants and reduce pollution.
Not that old chestnut , plants/ wildflowers . The verges round our way are full of the councils favourite letter D , Dandelions ,Docks and Detritus
21-05-2018, 22:12   #6
Colin Foster

Total Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechpete View Post
Don't think I've ever heard so much sloblock!
21-05-2018, 22:16   #7
hackey lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Foster View Post
Don't think I've ever heard so much sloblock!
The council actually believe that some people believe this
21-05-2018, 22:28   #8
apelike

Total Posts: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyowls View Post
Very slow cutting Grass Verge this year S6 area , some places 3ft high.. -any other areas not done ??
Only just started around here at the top end of Norfolk Park but that's the bits around the flats and not the verges which are cut by a different department.. apparently! The bits they have done so far are also strewn with chopped up litter that should have been bagged before they started cutting.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
21-05-2018, 23:57   #9
biotechpete

Total Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey lad View Post
The council actually believe that some people believe this
Yeah, gosh...damn those people and their checking of evidence getting in the way of a needless rant. And damn education for giving people the ability to find out things for themselves.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01479716310556
_______
Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat
22-05-2018, 00:02   #10
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 76,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyowls View Post
Very slow cutting Grass Verge this year S6 area , some places 3ft high
Ive cut mine myself twice in last few week -I don't mind doing it .
But wondering if Sheffield council not bothering or is it cause they cut there work force -any other areas not done ??
In Stannington they have been out all last week and today cutting the grass verges. Trouble is they donít seem to sweep up afterwards.
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
22-05-2018, 17:23   #11
apelike

Total Posts: 4,185
Been using a blower to clear up here but again today they have just been mowing over the litter so that is now strewn cut up all over the grass instead..sigh!
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
22-05-2018, 17:26   #12
Rhyno

Total Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey lad View Post
Knee high around our way . They are not bothered now after the elections
Do they elect the grasscutters these days?
22-05-2018, 17:33   #13
Daven

Total Posts: 10,831
The length of the grass in the central reservation on the Bochum Parkway is ridiculously high - especially if you are vertically challenged ! This is of particular concern when approaching roundabouts and trying to see over the grass when looking right to enter the roundabouts.
P.s., I have noticed that someone has cut the grass for a stretch of about 6 feet on the approach to the roundabout. SCC or someone with a social conscience I wonder ?
_______
My lovely Mum who lived with Alzheimers Disease for 9 years
RIP 15/3/18
A true lady passed this way.

Last edited by Daven; 22-05-2018 at 18:38.
22-05-2018, 17:39   #14
iansheff

Total Posts: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
In Stannington they have been out all last week and today cutting the grass verges. Trouble is they donít seem to sweep up afterwards.
I cut mine, it looks a lot better especially without all the grass left in the road and pavement after I have cleared up. I wonder if someone had an accident in wet conditions due to the grass being on the road what the council would say if they were sued.
22-05-2018, 18:31   #15
Lancs_Lad

Total Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
They have indeed and the verges (and the park) all look as though they've had a really bad haircut with uncut tufts everywhere. The standard is appalling and testament to all the cuts that have been made (pardon the pun).
22-05-2018, 18:55   #16
Harryarwen

Total Posts: 448
Interesting that they are cutting them only at cross road type areas - so at top of Hallowmoor Road by the traffic lights but not down the rest or along. Dykes Hall Road right up to the Horse and Jockey is particularly bad at the moment.
_______
I am the voice of Never Never land; The innocence, the dreams of every man; I am the empty crib of Peter Pan; A silent kite against the blue, blue sky; Every chimney, every moonlight sight; I am the story that will read you real; Every memory that you hold dear.
22-05-2018, 19:07   #17
feargal
bitterly caustic

Total Posts: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryarwen View Post
Interesting that they are cutting them only at cross road type areas - so at top of Hallowmoor Road by the traffic lights but not down the rest or along. Dykes Hall Road right up to the Horse and Jockey is particularly bad at the moment.
on Ben Lane, someone seems to have mowed a strip on the pavement side of the verges no idea why... I suppose it might have been a homeowner, rather than the council chaps.
_______
"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."
22-05-2018, 19:24   #18
hackey lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by feargal View Post
on Ben Lane, someone seems to have mowed a strip on the pavement side of the verges no idea why... I suppose it might have been a homeowner, rather than the council chaps.
Seems to be standard practice now , there is a biggish square of land near us ( 15x15 yrds) and all they have mown is a 1 yard strip round it
23-05-2018, 20:26   #19
Narden Dee

Total Posts: 899
the council dont cut grass verges its done by Amey
23-05-2018, 20:44   #20
amazon123

Total Posts: 361
I imagine it's a cost-saving measure. The council have introduced a number of "wildflower meadows" into the main parks. Basically, they can't afford (or won't provide the funds) to cut vast swathes of parks in the dubious name of wildflowers.
Reply To Topic