Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Nasty crash on Penistone Rd 21/05/2018

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-05-2018, 17:28   #1
Top Cats Hat

Total Posts: 2,038
Looks like a Volvo and a Porsche involved in a high speed crash on Penistone Road outside the filling Station near the end of Rutland Rd. Road closed off and Collision Investigation Team in attendance which suggests it's not good.

Expect delays :-(
21-05-2018, 21:50   #2
Colin Foster

Total Posts: 506
Unusual for a 30mph road. Oh I forgot, nobody sticks to 30 on that stretch
21-05-2018, 22:30   #3
ECCOnoob

Total Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Foster View Post
Unusual for a 30mph road. Oh I forgot, nobody sticks to 30 on that stretch
Nor should they. Its a stupid speed limit for such a primary route into a major city and on a purpose built dual carriageway.

Anyway, irrelevant to my opinion above I suspect the speed limit was the least of the considerations involved in the accident. I highly suspect the real cause will be the same as happened at Tinsley the other day.

Reckless behaviour caused by certain types of people hiring certain types of cars and showing off.
21-05-2018, 22:39   #4
Colin Foster

Total Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECCOnoob View Post
Nor should they. Its a stupid speed limit for such a primary route into a major city and on a purpose built dual carriageway.
Err...yes they should because that's the speed limit. Whether or not it's stupid is irrelevant.
21-05-2018, 22:48   #5
Penistone999

Total Posts: 8,839
Quote:
Err...yes they should because that's the speed limit. Whether or not it's stupid is irrelevant.
30MPH speed limit on a duel carriageway isnt stupid , its downright moronic.
21-05-2018, 22:49   #6
andyofborg

Total Posts: 9,820
Quote:
are you drumming up business by encouraging people to break the law?

it's not stupid at all, penistone road goes through areas which are heavily used by pedestrians with little or no separation between pedestrian and vehicle.

from what I saw of the crash, a more likely explanation is that someone ignored the red lights are the junction with albert terrace road.
_______
Very funny Scotty, now beam down the uniform
21-05-2018, 22:57   #7
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 54,871
Ive just been reading the comments on Sheffield Online (facebook) from the couple in the Passats family.

The man has been discharged but the woman will need at least one operation on her leg.

The guy in the Porsche went through a red light apparently, he has minor injuries.
_______
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” - Joe Moore
21-05-2018, 23:51   #8
Martin C

Total Posts: 233
Quote:

Anyway, irrelevant to my opinion above I suspect the speed limit was the least of the considerations involved in the accident. I highly suspect the real cause will be the same as happened at Tinsley the other day.

Reckless behaviour caused by certain types of people hiring certain types of cars and showing off.
Indeed. 'Gentlemen' over-compensating for their 'inadequacies' in other 'areas'.
22-05-2018, 00:11   #9
Ontarian1981

Total Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-red View Post
Ive just been reading the comments on Sheffield Online (facebook) from the couple in the Passats family.

The man has been discharged but the woman will need at least one operation on her leg.

The guy in the Porsche went through a red light apparently, he has minor injuries.
Isn't that just classic the guy who causes the wreck gets off the lightest? I have been hit twice by red light runners, both times the other person was injury free while I was banged up good and proper.
22-05-2018, 07:37   #10
Cyclone

Total Posts: 71,752
Quote:

I can't imagine that the old porsche boxster or the volvo were hire cars.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyofborg View Post

it's not stupid at all, penistone road goes through areas which are heavily used by pedestrians with little or no separation between pedestrian and vehicle.
I disagree about the speed limit, but perhaps we should stay on topic.
Quote:
from what I saw of the crash, a more likely explanation is that someone ignored the red lights are the junction with albert terrace road.
Yep, given the location it seems most likely that one of them has run the light, and at some speed as well. Both cars were a mess.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian1981 View Post
Isn't that just classic the guy who causes the wreck gets off the lightest? I have been hit twice by red light runners, both times the other person was injury free while I was banged up good and proper.
It's probably due to the direction of impact, the one running the light hits travelling forwards, they have crumple zone, engine, airbags and a second of knowing it's happening.
The victim is hit unexpectedly in the side, protection zones are much smaller, the motion is at ninety degrees and unexpected, they might have a side airbag, but it's not as good, and the seat doesn't support them in the same way.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
22-05-2018, 09:02   #11
carosio

Total Posts: 3,911
How fast is this car going? I'm doing 28-30mph past the Wednesday ground. Wide angle camera.
https://vimeo.com/271171898
22-05-2018, 09:25   #12
Padders

Total Posts: 10,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I can't imagine that the old porsche boxster or the volvo were hire cars.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:38 ----------

I disagree about the speed limit, but perhaps we should stay on topic.

Yep, given the location it seems most likely that one of them has run the light, and at some speed as well. Both cars were a mess.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:40 ----------

It's probably due to the direction of impact, the one running the light hits travelling forwards, they have crumple zone, engine, airbags and a second of knowing it's happening.
The victim is hit unexpectedly in the side, protection zones are much smaller, the motion is at ninety degrees and unexpected, they might have a side airbag, but it's not as good, and the seat doesn't support them in the same way.
Good explanation cyclone... I used to wonder, same as Mr T.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 10:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carosio View Post
How fast is this car going? I'm doing 28-30mph past the Wednesday ground. Wide angle camera.
https://vimeo.com/271171898
Anybody caught driving like that should receive a lengthy ban, sadly theres plenty of them, its as bad as carrying a loaded gun.
22-05-2018, 10:14   #13
metalman

Total Posts: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyofborg View Post

Really? I hardly ever see any pedestrians on that stretch particularly.
22-05-2018, 10:44   #14
amnicoll

Total Posts: 271
Correct me if I am wrong but were we not told during all the "upgrading" that the speed limit would be raised to 40mph?

I wonder what the cost of this accident will be compared with the cost of some speed cameras
22-05-2018, 10:59   #15
Victoria1867

Total Posts: 645
The speed limit on there does annoy me but it makes no difference to skipping red lights. A woman is has suffered bad leg injuries because some pillock thought the law didn't apply to him.
22-05-2018, 11:33   #16
Eater Sundae

Total Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but were we not told during all the "upgrading" that the speed limit would be raised to 40mph?

I wonder what the cost of this accident will be compared with the cost of some speed cameras
IIRC, I heard it explained (possibly by Planner1) that it had been intended to make it a 40 limit, but some of the existing junction designs didn’t meet the current standard required to allow a change to 40, and there wasn’t any money available to upgrade them.

I may have misunderstood, but I believe existing 40 limits can remain even if road design does not meet current design standards, but speed limits cannot be increased unless current standards are met. Or maybe that nobody would take a risk by signing off a change that was not fully up to date.
22-05-2018, 11:49   #17
geared

Total Posts: 13,247
Quote:
Its a stupid speed limit for such a primary route into a major city and on a purpose built dual carriageway.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penistone999 View Post
30MPH speed limit on a duel carriageway isnt stupid , its downright moronic.
Wasn't this road a 40 limit some time ago?
22-05-2018, 13:07   #18
WalkleyIan

Total Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater Sundae View Post
IIRC, I heard it explained (possibly by Planner1) that it had been intended to make it a 40 limit, but some of the existing junction designs didn’t meet the current standard required to allow a change to 40, and there wasn’t any money available to upgrade them.

I may have misunderstood, but I believe existing 40 limits can remain even if road design does not meet current design standards, but speed limits cannot be increased unless current standards are met. Or maybe that nobody would take a risk by signing off a change that was not fully up to date.
That's as I recall it to. I think cyclesheffield were opposed to increasing the limit without a proper segregated cycle route (this being standard design these days). The alternative route proposed was dangerous with tram tracks and they were just reducing the tram gate restriction making it busier with vehicles.

It turned out it was a moot point anyway because the cost to upgrade it for a higher speed was prohibitive,. It was not just the speed limit signs but the other signage at junctions all needed to be upgraded for 40 mph. It came in way over the budget they had allowed for

I think the modelling of the speed limit at 40mph given the many times you have to stop at red lights and junctions showed no cost benefit and the idea was shelved.

Edited to say Ive found the story. It was back in 2014

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheff...lved-1-6672393

Last edited by WalkleyIan; 22-05-2018 at 13:11.
23-05-2018, 08:37   #19
Cyclone

Total Posts: 71,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
Wasn't this road a 40 limit some time ago?
No, the rumour (can't remember if it was ever confirmed) is that the council originally 'forgot' to apply for the TRO when the road was first built.
And then instead installed a speed camera on the inbound side.

Of course the majority of traffic travels at around 40mph except directly past the camera, and as the earlier video shows a few cars much faster.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
23-05-2018, 09:08   #20
Blue Day

Total Posts: 1,218
That junction is renowned for crashes like this. I can recall 3 at least in the past few years, all caused by people going through a red. I drive on there a lot and as you approach that junction on the dual carriageway and the lights go green, I’ve seen numerous cars come through obviously on a red down the hill. Maybe the sequence on the lights needs to be extended so once one set is red, the other set don’t go to red/Amber for a couple of seconds.
_______
It goes on and on and on and on..........
Reply To Topic